Run for Idiots Sunlight 50K non-results

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Patrick Lilly, DNS
      Matt Mahoney, DNS

      DNS means Did Not Summit. I had the brilliant idea of a training run for
      Hardrock (in 8 days, not to mention the Leadville marathon in 2 days) by day
      hiking 3 of Colorado's most remote 14ers, Eolus, Sunlight, and Windom.
      Normally these are accessed by the Silverton-Durango railroad with an
      overnight camp, but I hate backpacks. From the nearest road, it is 36 miles
      and 10,000 ft. climb.

      Patrick joined me, figuring it's a good way to climb some of the harder 14ers
      (class 3-4) having done nothing over class 2. The weather forecast was
      perfect, sunny and dry, which would allow for an early morning start and
      summits in the afternoon with no storms, but Patrick had places to be, so we
      started 9:20 PM Wed. from the Purgatory trailhead. We made a good pace
      initially, reaching the Needle Creek trailhead (11 miles, where the train
      normally stops) at 12:45 AM and Chicago Basin at 3:00 AM. But we didn't count
      on so much snow, and we could not climb the last 30 feet of snow to the ridge
      on Eolus without ice axes (which we never needed before), so at 7:00 AM we
      turned around, then abandoned Sunlight and Windom where the snow looked just
      as bad.

      Our speed and mood deteriorated on the way back. We were in no mood for
      running, downhill or otherwise. Here we are surrounded by beautiful
      wilderness and all we can think of is pain, fatigue and suffering. "Lets see,
      5 more miles at 1 MPH is how many hours?" "I'm too tired to do math." We met
      a few backpackers along the way and tried to explain what we were doing
      without looking like idiots, but we weren't very successful. One guy
      mentioned he was returning from climbing Windom without an axe.

      We (non)finished at 2:44 PM Thurs. As I write this I haven't slept since 2
      nights ago. Time to find a campsite.