Re: [hr100] Hope everyone is having fun already... wish I was there!

  • Lois MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2005
      Elevation on Stony is 12,568. Cant beat that for high and easy. The pass is open to Pole Creek at least.
      Smoke filled the valley this morning, coming in from Utah and Arizona. But in about an hour it blew out this afternoon. The wind is still blowing, the creeks are still high. We are getting plenty of reports about difficult access to aid stations, but we still have 10 1/2 days. There are patches just out from under snow with plants just peaking out. It is a beautiful day here in the San Juans! Charlie's wet socks hanging on his porch are all I have seen of him since he started breaking trails.

      kaitainen <kaitainen@...> wrote:
      I will be arriving in Silverton late on Thursday night, but I won't be
      around until sometime on Saturday. Why? I'm going up high to sleep
      for 2 days to kick-start my acclimating!

      Anyone who is "on the ground" in the Silverton area, could you let me
      know where is the highest easily driven (4x4 is OK, but not very
      technical, as I'll be doing it in the dark) spot around this week?
      The usual suspects would be Ophir, Red Mountain, Stony Pass, etc.

      Stony is my preferred spot, as I've been up there a lot. However, I
      know the going is rough even when conditions are dry.

      Anything else I'm overlooking? Engineer / Oh! Point, perhaps?

      Thanks!

      Andrea

      Hardrock

      When I was a child in Silverton, one of the older boys
      started calling me Skunk Ears. I went to my father pouting
      about it. He told me skunks have cute ears. That made
      everything o.k., and the boy stopped using the name.