[hr100] Re: Boulder Gulch

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11 5:54 PM
      --- robert boeder <boedr@...> wrote:
      > I'm curious about the new route from Boulder Gulch
      > to the top of Upchuck
      > Ridge.

      The new route which traverses Handies Peak was started
      in '98 so it's the same one that destroyed you then.
      The old route went to the saddle to the west of
      Handies Peak, and then out and back to the summit. I
      think the new route has the same total climb as the
      old one. It's just steeper, and you spend more time
      at higher altitude (above 13,500 ft). At least this
      year you get to run down scree from the summit instead
      of going down a 45 degree rocky tundra slope backwards
      in the CW direction.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • carolyn erdman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11 7:42 PM
        Oh Bob it is much gentler and kinder. That's why it was changed...
        Carolyn lots of snow!!!

        At 09:38 PM 3/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >I'm curious about the new route from Boulder Gulch to the top of Upchuck
        >Ridge. John Cappis says it is to the east of the old route. I've compared
        >this year's course description with that of two years ago and I can't tell
        >much difference. This is a climb that destroyed me in '98. Someone tell me
        >the new path is kinder and gentler. Bob Boeder

        >Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
        >Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
        >Install today:

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=hr100&m=1

      • John Cappis
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11 9:12 PM
          Bob:

          The revised route to get from the old cabin site in Boulder Gulch to
          UpChuck ridge is only a hundred yards or so to the east of the grass
          slope you went up two years ago. This one offers more rock and a few
          faint animal trails (similar to the Island Lake side of Grant/Swamp).
          Slope is about the same. As Carolyn says, it is a kinder and gentler
          route... for the impact on the vegetation.

          John