Hardrock Course Tools

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2005
      I've gotten several questions about what kind of tools to bring up to
      work on the Hardrock snow during course marking. The best tools seem
      to be hoes (or the double bladed hoe/rake Forest Service version)
      because they can move significant snow while clearing a path. There
      are other tools that work, including ice axes (but the blades are too
      narrow for serious snow movement), foldable military trenching tools
      (but the cheap non-military ones tend to break), rakes, and others.

      I'm not asking that anyone go out and buy anything you don't already
      have. Just see what you have and, if convenient, bring it out to the
      course marking as a contingency.

      Thanks

      Charlie