How Many HR Stream Crossings?

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      Finally, a fair way to select Hardrock entrants has emerged. In
      future years, we will have a single question on the entry form:
      How many stream and river crossings are on the Hardrock course?
      The closest 125 get selected.

      The tie-breaker question will be:
      How many course markers are on the Hardrock course?

      Charlie
      ==============================
      Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:31:14 -0700
      From: mark swanson <runalong@...>
      Subject: Re: Water on HR course

      > How many stream and river crossings are on the HR course??? Just
      > looking
      > over the maps now and formulating a plan.

      Ah, the naievity of youth!

      At any rate, based on last year's levels (this year will be wetter) and
      this year's direction (opposite of last) you'll get wet for the first
      time less than two miles in and stay wet until Sherman (about 30 miles
      in). From Sherman almost to Engineer (mile 50) you can probably stay
      dry, it gets slushy around Engineer. The only significant water from
      there to Oscar's Pass (mile 80) is the Uncomprehensible (spelling?!)
      just before Ouray (pronunciation?) but you'll hit plenty of snow near
      Virginius and Grant's Swamp. The last 20 miles will be pretty wet.

      So for a plan: I'd have dry shoes at Sherman and at Ouray to allow
      some dry miles, other than that, resistance is futile.

      mark swanson
    • kernkt@cybermesa.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2005
        The answer: All of them. Kris

        > Finally, a fair way to select Hardrock entrants has emerged. In
        > future years, we will have a single question on the entry form:
        > How many stream and river crossings are on the Hardrock course?
        > The closest 125 get selected.
        >
        > The tie-breaker question will be:
        > How many course markers are on the Hardrock course?
        >
        > Charlie
        > ==============================
        > Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:31:14 -0700
        > From: mark swanson <runalong@...>
        > Subject: Re: Water on HR course
        >
        > > How many stream and river crossings are on the HR course??? Just
        > > looking
        > > over the maps now and formulating a plan.
        >
        > Ah, the naievity of youth!
        >
        > At any rate, based on last year's levels (this year will be wetter) and
        > this year's direction (opposite of last) you'll get wet for the first
        > time less than two miles in and stay wet until Sherman (about 30
        > miles in). From Sherman almost to Engineer (mile 50) you can
        > probably stay dry, it gets slushy around Engineer. The only
        > significant water from there to Oscar's Pass (mile 80) is the
        > Uncomprehensible (spelling?!) just before Ouray (pronunciation?) but
        > you'll hit plenty of snow near Virginius and Grant's Swamp. The
        > last 20 miles will be pretty wet.
        >
        > So for a plan: I'd have dry shoes at Sherman and at Ouray to allow
        > some dry miles, other than that, resistance is futile.
        >
        > mark swanson
        ------- End of Original Message -------
      • kaitainen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2005
          Of course the answer to the tie-breaker question is, "Less every year."

          ;-)

          Andrea