RE: [hr100] Digest Number 417

  • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2005
      Melody,
      I did Western States and HRH same year and I live at sea level.
      Yes its very much possible however, this person must absolutely arrive right after Wester States to Silverton and do all the course marking, if not its over.
      Take care.
      Bozena

      From: "MELODY VARNER" <melstrails@...>
      2. Re: just wondering
      From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...>
      3. Re: just wondering
      From: "Steve Pero" <ultrastevep@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:22 -0700
      From: "MELODY VARNER" <melstrails@...>
      Subject: just wondering

      Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the following scenario for this years run:

      1. First time runner of the HR100
      2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      . this person doesn't like the cold
      . lives at 2500 ft.
      . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is running Western States in June
      . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the night in Telluride specifically

      What do you do??

      Melody

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 05:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...>
      Subject: Re: just wondering

      --- MELODY VARNER <melstrails@...> wrote:
      > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the
      > following scenario for this years run:
      >
      > 1. First time runner of the HR100
      > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      > . this person doesn't like the cold
      > . lives at 2500 ft.
      > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      > . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is
      > running Western States in June
      > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the
      > night in Telluride specifically
      >
      > What do you do??
      >
      > Melody

      You should be prepared to finish without your pacer. Learn the route from
      Chapman to Silverton well because it will look very different on the second
      night when you aren't thinking straight. Hike KT to Silverton twice.

      Andrew Thompson posted a fascenating report from the Barkley about what can
      happen to your mind after 2 nights without sleep.
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/2005/andrew.html

      It reminds me of my deteriorating mental state when I got lost on Putnam
      ridge in 1998 when the flags disappeared. I had hiked it in training a
      week earlier and had a map and compass, but I still was lost and wandered
      in circles for 3 hours in the middle of the night until the next runner
      (Fred Vance) came along and we eventually made it back to Silverton in
      51:38.

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:21:25 -0400
      From: "Steve Pero" <ultrastevep@...>

      Go without the pacer and hang with some experienced Hardrockers, you'll be better off!

      Steve

      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2005
        --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com, "Maslanka, Bozena \(SC\)"
        <bmaslank@g...> wrote:
        > Melody,
        > I did Western States and HRH same year and I live at sea level.
        > Yes its very much possible however, this person must absolutely
        arrive right after Wester States to Silverton and do all the course
        marking, if not its over.
        > Take care.
        > Bozena
        >
        > No let see does that mean the Big Lady will sing...you really don't
        know what that person is capable of! But have ya ate yet? Sammy V.

        __

        __

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:22 -0700
        > From: "MELODY VARNER" <melstrails@m...>
        > Subject: just wondering
        >
        > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about
        the following scenario for this years run:

        > 1. First time runner of the HR100
        > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
        > . this person doesn't like the cold
        > . lives at 2500 ft.
        > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
        > . can't go to any of the course marking days because
        he/she is running Western States in June
        > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend
        the night in Telluride specifically

        > What do you do??
        >
        > Melody

        __

        __

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 05:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
        > From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@y...>
        > Subject: Re: just wondering
        >
        > --- MELODY VARNER <melstrails@m...> wrote:
        > > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought
        about the
        > > following scenario for this years run:
        > >
        > > 1. First time runner of the HR100
        > > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
        > > . this person doesn't like the cold
        > > . lives at 2500 ft.
        > > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
        > > . can't go to any of the course marking days because
        he/she is
        > > running Western States in June
        > > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to
        spend the
        > > night in Telluride specifically
        > >
        > > What do you do??
        > >
        > > Melody
        >
        > You should be prepared to finish without your pacer. Learn the
        route from
        > Chapman to Silverton well because it will look very different on
        the second
        > night when you aren't thinking straight. Hike KT to Silverton
        twice.

        > Andrew Thompson posted a fascenating report from the Barkley about
        what can
        > happen to your mind after 2 nights without sleep.
        > http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/2005/andrew.html
        >
        > It reminds me of my deteriorating mental state when I got lost on
        Putnam
        > ridge in 1998 when the flags disappeared. I had hiked it in
        training a
        > week earlier and had a map and compass, but I still was lost and
        wandered
        > in circles for 3 hours in the middle of the night until the next
        runner
        > (Fred Vance) came along and we eventually made it back to Silverton
        in
        > 51:38.
        >

        > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@y...

        __

        __

        > Message: 3
        > Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:21:25 -0400
        > From: "Steve Pero" <ultrastevep@a...>
        > Subject: Re: just wondering
        >
        > Go without the pacer and hang with some experienced Hardrockers,
        you'll be better off!

        > Steve

        Service.

        __

        ----
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2005
          --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...> wrote:
          > I did Western States and HRH same year and I live at sea level.

          I did too, in 1998, and the result was 51:38. Looking back, I think that 9
          days acclimation was not enough. I was barely on 48 hour pace before I got
          lost. I drove from Squaw Valley to Silverton with 3 overnights at low
          elevation (Squaw, Great Basin and Zion). Otherwise I recovered OK frmo WS.
          The leg stiffness was about gone by the time I reached Silverton. I held
          back at WS knowing Hardrock was coming and finished in 31:54 (snow year).

          Anyway if your pacer has finished HURT I would not worry so much about
          being able to keep up with you for the last 25 miles when you won't be
          moving fast. (I assume that's where you will want a pacer). Given the
          recent weather your pacer will probably get snow experience at WS too, like
          it or not.

          Don't worry whether your pacer knows the route from Chapman to Silveron.
          You are the one that needs to know it, just in case your pacer doesn't show
          up, isn't able to run, or can't keep up for some reason. Plans can change
          at the last minute. You must be prepared to abandon your pacer in a remote
          area if needed. I have done it, and had it done to me. You have cutoffs
          to make. You are not expected to wait for your pacer.

          BTW, anyone know course conditions? I'm expecting that Grant-Swamp will be
          solid 45 deg. snow and the two crossings of S. Mineral are hip or waist
          deep and flowing fast.