Re: [hr100] just wondering

  • rocksnpots@direcway.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2005
      When I have run with pacers who may themselves struggle with the course, I prefer to save them for the last segments of the course when I am likely to be struggling the most (and am moving slowly). I would suggest that the pacer go for a leg on the second day, in the day, to test themselves at altitude and snow - maybe Ouray to Telluride if it is late enough. Then they can take a break if needed. I would definitely suggest a pacer for the finish from Chapman to the finish, likely in the night and over a snowy Grant-Swamp pass.

      Even if the pacer is not familiar with the course, if he/she is wide awake, he/she is less likely to miss markers and do dumb things than a tired runner.

      Odie Christensen

      > >Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought
      > about the following scenario for this years run:
      > >
      > >1. First time runner of the HR100
      > >2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      > > . this person doesn't like the cold
      > > . lives at 2500 ft.
      > > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      > > . can't go to any of the course marking days because
      > he/she is running Western States in June
      > > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to
      > spend the night in Telluride specifically
      > >
      > >What do you do??
      > >
      > >Melody

      > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hr100-
      > unsubscribe@...
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jennifer Roach
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2005
        I would tend to agree with Matt and Steve about this.

        Expect to finish the course alone. Chances are, you won't be alone and
        you will have a pacer, but then you can cover all your bases. If you
        really learn the part of the course from Chapman to Silverton, you will
        feel most confident about night#2.I would experiment with hiking it at
        night.

        Jennifer Roach
        Boulder.