Re: [hr100] just wondering

    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2005
      --- MELODY VARNER <melstrails@...> wrote:
      > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the
      > following scenario for this years run:
      >
      > 1. First time runner of the HR100
      > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      > . this person doesn't like the cold
      > . lives at 2500 ft.
      > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      > . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is
      > running Western States in June
      > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the
      > night in Telluride specifically
      >
      > What do you do??
      >
      > Melody

      You should be prepared to finish without your pacer. Learn the route from
      Chapman to Silverton well because it will look very different on the second
      night when you aren't thinking straight. Hike KT to Silverton twice.

      Andrew Thompson posted a fascenating report from the Barkley about what can
      happen to your mind after 2 nights without sleep.
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/2005/andrew.html

      It reminds me of my deteriorating mental state when I got lost on Putnam
      ridge in 1998 when the flags disappeared. I had hiked it in training a
      week earlier and had a map and compass, but I still was lost and wandered
      in circles for 3 hours in the middle of the night until the next runner
      (Fred Vance) came along and we eventually made it back to Silverton in
      51:38.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2005
        Go without the pacer and hang with some experienced Hardrockers, you'll be better off!

        Steve

        Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the following scenario for this years run:

        1. First time runner of the HR100
        2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
        . this person doesn't like the cold
        . lives at 2500 ft.
        . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
        . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is running Western States in June
        . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the night in Telluride specifically

        What do you do??

        Melody

      • Blake Wood and Rebecca Clark
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2005
          This is hard to answer without knowing how fast the runner is that will be paced.

          Probably your best bet is to have them pace the runner from Grouse to Telluride. There shouldn't be much snow and ice over Engineer. It could be cold up there, depending on the weather and what time of day you reach it, but after that you'll be heading down to lower elevations. They could have a hotel room waiting for them in Telluride. Depending on how fast the runner is, they may have a full night there, or may crawl into bed in the wee hours of the morning.

          Other alternatives would be to spend Friday night in Telluride and then pick up the runner in either Ouray, Telluride or at Chapman in the morning (depending on how fast they are). All of these legs are likely to involve substantial running over snow, but the last two shouldn't be too icy as long as it is daytime. The leg out of Ouray over Virginius is likely to be very icy when most runners will hit it, except for the back-of-the-packers. This might be an option for them, if they don't plan to get out of Ouray before dawn.

          - Blake

        • rocksnpots@direcway.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2005
            When I have run with pacers who may themselves struggle with the course, I prefer to save them for the last segments of the course when I am likely to be struggling the most (and am moving slowly). I would suggest that the pacer go for a leg on the second day, in the day, to test themselves at altitude and snow - maybe Ouray to Telluride if it is late enough. Then they can take a break if needed. I would definitely suggest a pacer for the finish from Chapman to the finish, likely in the night and over a snowy Grant-Swamp pass.

            Even if the pacer is not familiar with the course, if he/she is wide awake, he/she is less likely to miss markers and do dumb things than a tired runner.

            Odie Christensen

            > >Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought
            > about the following scenario for this years run:
            > >
            > >1. First time runner of the HR100
            > >2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
            > > . this person doesn't like the cold
            > > . lives at 2500 ft.
            > > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
            > > . can't go to any of the course marking days because
            > he/she is running Western States in June
            > > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to
            > spend the night in Telluride specifically
            > >
            > >What do you do??
            > >
            > >Melody

            > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hr100-
            > unsubscribe@...
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jennifer Roach
            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2005
              I would tend to agree with Matt and Steve about this.

              Expect to finish the course alone. Chances are, you won't be alone and
              you will have a pacer, but then you can cover all your bases. If you
              really learn the part of the course from Chapman to Silverton, you will
              feel most confident about night#2.I would experiment with hiking it at
              night.

              Jennifer Roach
              Boulder.