Kristina Maxfield

  • carolyn erdman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      Some folks remember Kristina Maxfield was RD with Dale.
      Just a note to let you know that she has retired from her EMS job and will be moving to Pagosa Springs.
      In case anyone wants to send her and/or Mike a note:
      Kristina Maxfield
      Town
      Silverton, CO 81433

      should get it to her. Yes we have alot of snow here and it is snowing today!!!
      Carolyn Erdman
      Silverton, Colorado

    • Charles Thorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2014
        I learned this weekend that Kristina Maxfield passed away on Friday, October 24 after a long and painful battle with cancer.  She had been hospitalized in Montrose for at least a month.

        Many of you remember Kristina as the original Hardrock Run Director.  As co-RD during the lean years of Hardrock up through about 1997, she worked tirelessly to get Hardrock off the ground and Hardrockers into the mountains.  As a resident of Silverton, she knew who the local people were and where the equipment was to make the run happen.  The year after the old ski hut burned down, the alley behind her house was the start and finish line for the run.  We pretty much overran her home.  She had the idea for the annual runner's poster, a tradition that continues to delight all Hardrock finishers.

        I remember talking with her before the first run about snow conditions. She pointed up to the snow in Belcher Gulch on the north side of Sultan as her gauge for the high country snow pack.  We watched it melt day by day and finally, a few days before the start, she agreed that the high country "might" allow the run.  It did!  Since then, I've always relied on Belcher Gulch snow levels as a good indicator for conditions on the course.

        Kristina leaves behind her husband and her 13 year old daughter. She will be missed.

        Charlie Thorn
      • Lois MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 27, 2014
          Kris was a co-worker and friend for many years. We had our ups and downs as do all good friends. She had a great attitude until the end even tho her insurance company called it a "pre-existing condition" and denied her coverage about 18 months ago.

          A fund has been started by the Ambulance Association with which she served many years as director. If you feel so inclined send help to:
          Silverton San Juan County Ambulance Assoc.
          P.O. Box 493
          Silverton, CO   81433

          Make checks out to Silverton San Juan County Ambulance Assoc.
           but put "Maxfield Family Fund" in the Memo

          Services will be at 11:00AM this Saturday at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Silverton followed by interment in Hillside Cemetery (just outside Silverton) with a reception at the Brown Bear Cafe.

          Keep in Touch,
          LMac