[hr100] spikes?

  • Greg Loomis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2000
      Hi,

      Interesting following the posts here on footwear. Perhaps as silly as
      it sounds a track spike with some good 1/2 inch diggers in the front
      might work well.??? As Matt- would attest they would dry quickly and
      be very light. I would carry them and make a quick switch of shoes
      when needed for ice and safety. Any thoughts? All the talk of
      Crampons is making me worry...

      Greg
    • danar@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2000
        Greg, the sections where you can use crampons are all really short. The
        issue behind whether to bring crampons is a question of whether you first
        want to carry them all that way and second whether it is worth stopping to
        put them on and take them off when you could use them. I think everyone
        would feel better wearing them on certain sections of the course but some,
        don't want the hassle that comes with them.

        As far as using track spikes, I think they would be far too wimpy on the
        frozen, crusty stuff we are talking about. A good solid pair of instep
        crampons on a pair of supportive trail running shoes would work a lot
        better than track spikes and be a lot safer.

        As far as wearing racing flats at Hardrock, that's advice I know I won't be
        following.

        Dana

        Dana Roueche
        Boulder, CO