Snowfall in the San Juans

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2005
      Hello Hardrockers, Below is an article from the Albuquerque Journal
      about snow in the Hardrock country. - Charlie

      Friday, January 14, 2005

      S.W. Colorado Sees 10 Feet of Snow; Parts of Northern N.M. Also Benefit
      By Tania Soussan and Leslie Linthicum

      Journal Staff Writers

      All those Four Corners residents and ski buffs hoping for snow
      got what they wished for- and then some.
      A five-day storm socked the San Juan Mountains of southwestern
      Colorado on Friday night through Wednesday, bringing 8 to 10 feet of
      new snow to areas above 10,000 feet and 3 to 6 feet to lower
      Northern New Mexico benefited from the same storm system, but in
      inches rather than feet.
      In southwestern Colorado, mountain passes closed, avalanche
      warnings went out, power failed across the region, snowplow crews put
      in long hours and life slowed down.
      "For the first time in six years, I've heard people say, 'I wish
      it would stop snowing,' '' said National Weather Service hydrologist
      Brian Avery in Grand Junction, Colo.
      The storm was the latest blast from the Pineapple Express, a
      weather pattern that dumped rain in California and snow in the San
      Juans for almost three weeks. "You just see storm after storm after
      storm move rapidly through," Avery said, adding that the forecast now
      is for dry weather in the region.
      The recent storm closed Silverton Mountain at the very time the
      extreme ski area had its best snow. The mountain passes on U.S. 550
      on either side of the town of Silverton- Red Mountain to the north
      and Molas and Coal Bank to the south- were closed and the storm
      ripped down the ski area's power lines.
      The telephone message at the Silverton Mountain Ski Area on Thursday said:
      "We have received the storm of the century here with over 140
      inches of snow and we're still not sure what the storm total is. The
      good news? Plenty of snow when we do open. Have a powdery day."
      In Durango, Colo., the streets were clear and dry Thursday, a
      marked difference from the 67 inches of snow delivered to the Durango
      Mountain Resort ski area about 20 miles north of town.
      "From here to there, it's 10 feet difference," said Gary Broad,
      owner of the Durango Diner on the town's main drag. "It's just the
      high mountains that are getting slammed."
      The town of Durango has had almost three inches of precipitation
      so far this year- 420 percent of normal, Avery said. Most of that,
      though, has been rain.
      Before Christmas, the snowpack in the San Juan Mountains was 93
      percent of normal. Now it's 177 percent of normal.
      That's good news for New Mexico and Navajo Reservoir, which have
      been hit hard by a drought.
      "It's probably the biggest snowpack since around '97," Avery said.
      Coal Bank Pass north of Durango had more than 100 inches of new
      snow. U.S. 550 through that pass and Molas and Red Mountain passes
      remained closed Thursday afternoon because of avalanche danger.
      "It is amazing," Avery said.
      Northern New Mexico also benefited from the storm with 9 inches
      of snow at Red River, 8 inches at Lake Maloya near Raton, 6 inches in
      Jemez Springs and 2 inches in Chama.
      "They're doing pretty well up there, but certainly not as great
      as Colorado," said Chuck Jones, a Weather Service meteorologist in
      A storm earlier this month dumped lots of rain and snow in New
      Mexico, including 12 inches in Red River and 9 inches in Chama, he
      At Taos Ski Valley, the powder deliveries have been frequent and generous.
      Taos Mountain got 8 inches of fresh snow Wednesday, with a total
      of 26 inches of new snow in the previous five days and 50 inches
      since New Year's Day.
      The ski report Thursday from Gary Johnson, New Mexico's fittest
      former governor and current Taos Ski Valley resident: "Fabulous."
      Johnson came off his last run about 4:30 p.m. and got on the phone.
      "The whole mountain is fluffy," he said. "Basically, it has just
      been snowing for the past few weeks. I think you have to go back a
      long time to find snow this good this early in the year. It's great.
      The whole mountain is soft."
      Snow started falling Monday night in Chama and didn't let up
      until about noon Tuesday. A dump of just over two feet closed Cumbres
      Pass to traffic and brought out the snow plows, snow blowers and snow
      Missy Porter, who owns Chama Ski Services, said the great snow,
      ironically, brought her cross-country ski and showshoe rental
      business to a halt.
      "People have to get plowed out and get the pass open and then
      they'll get ready to ski," she said. "We haven't been out ourselves.
      We've been too busy shoveling."

      Albuquerque Journal