799Re: [hr100] Eolus, Sunlight, Windom

    Jun 17, 2003
      --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
      > Hi Matt,
      > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
      > /joe

      Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
      the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
      though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
      climb to take the train out.

      I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
      Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
      for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

      Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
      http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

      There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
      catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
      http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

      =====