797Re: [hr100] 14er posting website

  • Gordon Hardman
    Jun 16, 2003
      Matt,

      I agree- either way it is 3 days. You can park at Molas lake, and there
      is a nice trail down to the Animas, and follow the tracks to Needleton.
      Camp there or up the trail a bit. Do the peaks. Camp a second night and
      hike out. Or, take the train, camp a night, do the peaks, camp and come
      out on the train. There are even some loops/peaks back in the Weminuche,
      you could go in on the first day, hike to Chicago basin & camp, do the
      peaks, go over Columbine Pass & around to come out near Silverton......
      Think Vestal Peak and Wham Ridge...

      Andrea Feucht wrote:

      > Matt,
      > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
      > before HR
      > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
      > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
      >
      > :-)
      >
      > Andrea
      >
      > --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
      > > Mat,
      > > Take the train.
      > > Joe
      >
      > I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think
      > there
      > is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton
      > (1
      > hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves
      > you
      > about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in
      > having
      > to carry camping gear.
      >
      > > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to
      > climb
      > > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to
      > Eolus,
      > > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000
      > ft.
      > > climb
      > > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the
      > train.
      > > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by
      > 7 and
      > > be
      > > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr
      > rate
      > > of
      > > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
      > > before.
      > > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or
      > so.
      > > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.
      >

      > =====
      > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [Click Here!]

      Gordon Hardman

      V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
      geh@...
      CrossLink Inc. phone:
      303.473.9232 x101
      6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
      303.473.9660
      Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

      we shall go
      Always a little further: it may be
      Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
      Across that angry or that glimmering sea

      James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

      "The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that
      you'll grow out of it."
      Doris Day