77[hr100] Re: THE LAST MILES OR LOW IQ

  • John Cappis
    Mar 5 2:25 PM
      Hans-Dieter

      Blake Wood has recently put the 2000 course description and related
      table on the web site, www.run100s.com/HR/. Included in the cut off
      tables is a column of historical times at the major aid stations for
      those finishing close to 48 hours. People who get through the Putnam
      Basin aid station (95.8 mi) by 3:30 am on Sunday morning seem to be
      able to finish under 48 hours. This includes 3.8 miles of stumbing
      down a a very rocky trail in the Silverton Bear Creek to the roped
      wading of South Mineral Creek. Once across the river, there is a short
      uphill scramble to an abandoned railroad bed then follwing this dirt
      trail for another 1.2 mi. Both of these sections still require some
      brain function to negotiate. Finally at mi 100.8, remember the course
      is 101.7 mi, you hit a dirt road where you can function with almost no
      visible alterness..
      with the exception you turn off this road after about a half mi and do
      a short cross country and finish on the streets of Silverton.

      With regard to flashlights on Saturday night/Sunday morning, at a 47:30
      pace you will be using one from near Chapman Gulch, about mile 83 to
      within a mile of the finish. As Karl, Matt and Roger have said on the
      list, familiarity with with section from Chapman to the finish will add
      your chances of getting across it in a low IQ mode using a flashlight.

      John

      > Carolyn has asked about the last miles and got answers about estimated
      > IQ-levels during the "second night".
      > As a 60 (+-) runner, who never has tried such a fun run, there are
      some
      > more detailed questions to the veterans:
      >
      > 1. At which time begins the flashlight time on Saturday evening or how
      > many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?
      >
      > 2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish, mile 98 - finish ...)
      > can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an IQ less than a
      > potato?
      >
      > 3. If the answer is, that there is no major problem behind mile 97,5
      (I
      > have no idea), then it is better for people with lower IQ like me, to
      > try to reach this point (i.e. 97,5) before flashlight time (seriously
      > spoken, I personally hope for finishing in 47:30 no matter about the
      > IQ).
      >
      > 4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available for moving in that
      > way (3.) ? I don't ask for a division like 97,5 miles divided by 39,5
      > hours (potato IQs are able to perform this calculation with a correct
      > result), but for a schedule, which takes in account the ups and downs,
      > climbings, daylight or night and so on.
      >
      > 5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the unknown trail is
      > restricted to three or four days, who can make recommendations about
      the
      > "problem"-areas, which should be visited first by order of priority
      > including the informations about how to get to that points by car? Is
      it
      > the foreseen "second night" - course?
      >
      > Best regards
      >
      > Hans-Dieter W.