677Can I Ask Y'all (again) for a Favor to Help Save Hardrock???

  • Rich Limacher
    Jun 20, 2002
      My Fellow Terror-Shook Americans:

      Yes, this message is NUC. (Right.) But,
      honest-to-goodness, I feel it's important--and not only to
      America, but to us in this weird subculture called "ultras"
      too.

      As you certainly must know by now, much of the State of
      Colorado in ON FIRE!!!

      Will these fires engulf and/or threaten the San Juan
      Mountains or the National Forest that contains them--and
      therefore the running of the 2002 Hardrock 100-Miler itself?

      As of this moment, I don't know.

      But I do subscribe to the "San Juan Mountain Journal" and
      its e-mailed "Xpress," and you can see (below) what
      yesterday they sent me.

      So, sure. I went on-line at the "Durango Herald" website
      and voted FOR the train. But then later last night I
      learned that this wonderful tourist attraction [one of the
      last surviving steam locomotive railroads in America] has
      been shut down.

      So today I've decided to send 'em a (yes, here we go again)
      letter.

      And now I'm asking you to do the same.

      If you have time. If you care. And/or if you feel as I do
      that, if at first they stop the train, how soon after will
      they stop the Run?

      Hey, we got 'em to open Frozen Head State Park (for a coupla
      weeks), didn't we?

      Well, let's get these next guys to stop shitting in their
      pants every time the economy sparks.

      Life's a risk. Let's not croak 'cuz we're scared to take
      it.

      Your troubadour,
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...

      [feel free to plagiarize whatever you want of the following]
      _____________________________________
      [THIS SENT TODAY to Jonathan Thompson and the Journal
      Xpress]

      [An expressed opinion for your publication in any form]

      June 20, 2002

      To Whom It May Concern:

      It is indeed tragic what you're all going through.

      Colorado, it seems, is all on fire. The "weather gods" are
      against you, and you've certainly not been very lucky with
      (if our newscasts are to be believed) the quality of
      personnel recently employed by the Forest Service. For
      sure, however, this will prove to be a rather horrible
      exception to an otherwise sterling agency of government. I,
      for one, appreciate the United States Forest Service more
      than I can say.

      But now the local powers that be, in and around Durango,
      Silverton, and other communities, have apparently succeeded
      in shutting down operations of the world-famous narrow-gauge
      railroad only because, as you seem to think, it's such a
      fire hazard.

      And so are the cigarettes you or your children might smoke.
      So are the paint cans in your garage. So are the
      kerosene-soaked rags in your basement, or the unsealed wood
      stain can on your back porch. And so is darn near
      everything a lousy fire hazard.

      But putting a stop to perhaps the most viable economic
      resource in your whole valley (D&SNGRR) is, in my opinion,
      almost like disowning your children because they might
      embarrass you in front of the school board, or refuse to
      paint anything because those cans might ignite, or leave
      your porch untreated because some kid might just flick a cig
      in the stain can and burn your whole house down.

      I think you understand my point. It may seem a silly point,
      but even after September 11th there are still a whole bunch
      of folks working in skyscrapers and a whole bunch more
      riding in airplanes. Weren't we told that to do anything
      different would be to admit that the terrorists have won?

      Well, how are your forest fires doing?

      Are you going to let them win, too?

      And put every honest store, shop, and tourist attraction in
      southwestern Colorado right out of business?

      I'm your customer! There are thousands and thousands more
      like me! Where else are you going to collect the tax
      revenues that help pay for all these forest services in the
      first place? Including those legions of folks who now,
      somehow, have to put the fires out?

      Let me make my point even clearer: Don't turn Silverton
      into a ghost town just because of what you're afraid the
      train might do.

      The railroad people are quite capable of watching after
      their own tracks. And the minute they see a spark by them,
      I guarantee you they'll stop, hop off, and put the lousy
      spark out.

      This is in their best interests, too. I say, "Give 'em a
      chance."

      Now I must return to work in my office building to earn the
      money to buy the ticket to fly out for my next
      very-much-yearned-for vacation to beautiful, yes, and sunny
      Colorado.

      Don't make me sit here all summer in polluted Illinois.

      Thank you very much.

      Most sincerely,

      Richard J. Limacher
      Matteson, IL