544RE: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

  • Keith Knipling
    Nov 12, 2001
      One thing you should know about Matt Mahoney is that EVERYTHING he writes
      should be taken with a grain of salt. While his posts are usually
      informative, accurate, and beneficial, everything he says is usually said
      very much tongue-in-cheek. Whatever he says, though eccentric as it may
      seem, is usually genuine and never intended to insult anyone.

      Now to comment on what Joe said:

      I believe we should be going the other way and reaching out to
      younger people of lesser means.

      Right on! I hope 26 on a student budget qualifies. I think the committee
      should accept all applicants outside of 2 standard deviations of the mean
      age, which I'm guessing is 42 or so (i.e. the young guys and the old guys).
      This makes things more interesting than having 120 baby boomers. It also
      guarantees John DeWalt a position at the starting line. If there's any
      crime in all of this selection process, it would be John DeWalt missing an
      opportunity to continue his impressive string of finishes at Hardrock.

      Do I expect anyone to take me seriously? No. Just trying to provide some
      levity to an apparently tense situation. We supposedly run for recreation,
      not for another source of stress in our lives.

      Keith

      Keith Knipling
      Materials Science and Engineering
      213 Holden Hall