      From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:matmahoney@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 2:49 PM
      To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

      --- clapper@... wrote:

      > I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak
      > up on this one.
      > Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport
      > in the same direction
      > as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class,
      > white suburban, middle
      > age elite.

      I thought we already did that. In any case, there's
      plenty of cheap or free ultras, like the MTN RNR
      series, Barkley, Nolan's 14, and lots of fat ass races
      including some 100 milers. They can be short or long,
      easy or as tough as you like, just like the "real"
      ultras that charge big entry fees and have lotteries
      or trail work requirements. The only difference I can
      see is that in a "real" ultra you get a T-shirt that
      people will recognize. "Oh yeah, I saw that race on
      TV. It looked really tough" instead of "Wickham Park,
      what's that?" Sorry, recognition is in big demand and
      there is a short supply of it, so simple economics
      says you gotta pay for it. Or is there some other
      reason to run the big ultras?

      =====