3432Re: [HR100]

  • Basit Mustafa
    Apr 22, 2014
      I can only really speak to conditions around Telluride, but the portions of trail under timberline are well protected and remain under quite a bit of snow. I've been on the portions around Telluride and save for the lowest parts, it's still quite skiable.

      Average depth is 1-1.5 up until about 9200ft or in drifts and then it's not unusual to see 1.5-3 ft.

      Virginius into Tride and up to the Wasatch trail is essentially unrunnable (to be expected) anywhere except the Weibe intersection thru to the bear creek drainage just a bit out of town, maybe 3/4 of a mi. Which I will qualify and say the pack from here up to the wasatch trail is definitely runnable now ESP in early am hours (up mendota and up to Virginius the pack is a shit show - it's considerable and consistent - floatation required beyond even the lowest encounter with snow at the Weibe intersection).

      The snow IS melting but there's a lotta moisture around tride, not as much as in previous years, of course, Charlie is right and the data is right in that sense, but there's still a LOT of moisture waiting to melt and keep these trails unrunnable for sometime - but, for race time, as far as I can tell, the trails I've been on will be absolutely clear and dry of any run off for a large part (won't venture to predict the rain, though! :) ).

      I'll be out to other parts of the course in the coming weeks and month and will update my map I sent out earlier today.

      Hope this helps.

      All spulling and grammer misteaks are Apple's fault.

      On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:

      Snow pack in the San Juans is slightly below normal.  The climate models show higher than normal precipitation, as well as much warmer than normal temperatures predicted between now and Hardrock.  More rain and higher temperatures usually mean less snow.

      I don't know what the course will be like but, I'd guess that we're going to have relatively less snow on the course than in the past few years.

      That's just a guess. The fun will be in actually finding out.

      Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:10 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Andrew Barney" w7ie

      How does this snowpack compare now to past years? Is this going to be
      more like 2011 or 2013 this year?

      -- Andrew

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic