3270John DeWalt

  • Jeff List
    Aug 13, 2013
      I first met John at the 2007 MMD50K -- a small, underground race in
      the exceedingly rocky White Mountains of New Hampshire. John
      and Sue Thompson came to the half-way aid station at dusk after something
      like 14 hours, and were encouraged to stop. No. Way.
      Morning came -- still no John and Sue. Some voiced concern -- should
      we go out looking for them? Umm -- no, said others who knew
      John from Hardrock, from Barkley, from just knowing what John
      was made of. We went out to breakfast, came back, and they were done,
      finishing the 50K in 28:01 -- just no such thing as quit in John DeWalt.
      At that race, I was a newly-minted ultrarunner, and John gave me great
      encouragement to aspire to run Hardrock. It was a privilege to witness John's
      last amazing Hardrock finish in 2009, something to rememeber whenever things
      seem like they're getting tough.
      RIP, John.