      From: Bruce Grant <lonerunman@...>
      To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [hr100] "Camping" before Hardrock

      Jerry - your best best would be one of the Molas Lake campgrounds located
      south of Silverton. They are at 11000', prime territory for acclimatising.

      There is a private campground with some facilities on the east side of the
      highway. You can reserve here, which may be a consideration if you are
      staying through the July 4 weekend. You can probably get sites with
      power/hook-ups for an RV, if that is important to you.
      http://www.molaslake.com/

      On the west side of the highway, there is a turnoff about a mile or so
      further south of the private campground that will head up to Little Molas
      Lake, where there is a public free campground in the National Forest land.
      A number of Hardrockers will camp up here in the week(s) prior to the race,
      and if you get there early before the July 4 crowd and scope out a large
      site that you are willing to share with fellow runners in tents, you'll be
      some kind of hero (I recommend the first spot on the left as you get in
      there!). There are no facilities except an outhouse, and water is from a
      creek. It is pretty sweet up there.
      http://g.co/maps/czdm2

      There is also a state campground at the end of Mineral Creek, it is a fee
      area as well and I'm not sure if it has hook-ups for RV's. It is also
      relatively lower elevation, being not much higher than Silverton's altitude.

      Hope that helps! Others may have suggestions for something a bit more
      remote in different areas.

      Bruce