2439THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 37)

  • The Troubadour
    Jan 26, 2011
      [Today's Positivity Wednesday serves up honor to yet another "Better Half"
      of a currently flourishing ultrarunning couple: The Burs (but, as his dad
      at their wedding most emphatically expressed: absolutely NO relation to
      that traitorous old Aaron who "did in" that good ol' guy now pictured on
      your ten-dollar bills, of which you may not have all that many come April
      15th). Oh, but this is a Positive Day, isn't it!
      Laura Bur is a fairly recent convert to "the dark side" and, damn, she is
      certainly now running really REALLY well!!
      Here she is--all smiley and badly bruised ;-)--and well on her way to a 100K
      finish at this year's HURT:
      http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2041868760045119137ehOjHK
      Even better evidence of Mike's good fortune is here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjcbur/sets/72157621505829510/
      (Hardrock 2009).
      Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd she even has a video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmVAe2qRyW4&feature=channel
      (which was shot, she tells me, by her crew during one of those VHTRC Bull
      Run Run 50-mile sojourns).
      I'm also under the impression that these two lovebirds are STILL out there
      in Hawaii...honeymooning!!]

      She is the most accomplished trailrunning ultramarathoner ever to emigrate
      from Lithuania. She's even more famous than Borat.

      She is singularly responsible for making the former president of the VHTRC
      responsible. Prior to her arrival in metro DC, he was wild, untamed,
      footloose, reckless, and rode a motorcycle irresponsibly all the way to
      downtown Silver Spring and back. Once.

      Her running accomplishments are approaching near-legendary. Her very first
      50-miler was close to an age-group record. And that's no Bull.

      She started out her sweet young life already in college. She studied the
      graphic arts, and now her work is featured prominently all over the
      following focal-point of nearly every running "surfer" in cyberspace:
      http://www.vhtrc.org/index.htm.

      Her artistry is so popular, fast food chains throughout the world are
      bidding for her talents to improve their images. But if they're expecting
      new images of "slow food," they've got the wrong gal.

      She keeps even her cool-down pace under 6's.

      Her flair for foreign languages is such that certain volunteers at the
      annual Barkley Marathons have recently contracted with her to translate the
      "Official Instructions" into English.

      She often accompanies her husband to his disk jockey gigs. He relies
      heavily on her ability to differentiate between CDs versus DVDs and that
      "heaped rax of stax of hot Jack's wax's batter-splatterings for his
      beginning spinning platter."

      Often has she been seen stepping back, throwing up her hands, and sighing.
      The "early morning DJ for WOLD" ought never to be giving up his day job.

      She is, of course, the very best thing that ever happened to one Michael J.
      C. Bur and, for sure, THE MOST INTERESTING WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

      "I don't always outrun my man; but when I do, I prefer he take his lumps and
      clean the house. Stay in love, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price for supplying this in place of that former
      long and always-broken hyperlink]

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["your friendly neighborly 800-year-old lute-plucking jealous-as-hell
      song-and-dance man from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      We now totally understand what also motivates Hugh Hefner.