2381THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 28)

  • The Troubadour
    Nov 17, 2010
      [Recently our very own UL member "Dirt Dawg" (who?), also known as Mike Croy
      of Michigan somewhere, put out a "podcast" of his audio-interview with Karl
      Meltzer. See it/hear it here:
      http://dirtdawg.podbean.com/2010/11/14/ep-68-a-chat-with-karl-meltzer/.
      It's long, chatty, but otherwise entirely magnificent and necessary for the
      understanding of the man himself, Karl Meltzer, today's honoree. And you
      can catch more of his own act here:
      http://karlmeltzer.com/.
      One record apparently lost in the shuffle is the one which impresses yours
      troubly the most: Karl's 2009 winning time at Hardrock is the
      second-fastest finish time ever, AND it is also now THE course record for
      the counterclockwise direction. And Karl's about twice the age of the guy
      who's now got the clockwise (and overall) course record. Karl's time in
      '09: 24:38:02. The HRH course is longer and harder now (IMHO) but we still
      remember when David Horton shocked the planet by going under 30 hours in an
      earlier incarnation of the run. We all thought THAT was impossible! In six
      years of his posted results, Karl has won Hardrock outright 5 times,
      finished in 2nd place once, and each and every single one of his 6 finishing
      times was UNDER 29 hours. Wow. Welcome to a gushingly positively Wednesday
      (which, where you live, is hopefully not yet Thursday)! ;-]

      It's only taken 150 years, but he finally did it. He's just run the 2,064
      miles of the Pony Express Trail--from California to Missouri--faster than
      the ponies did it in 1860.

      And all along the way, by the way, he delivered mail.

      Sponsored by Red Bull, he not only drank every can in the accompanying chuck
      wagon, but he was quick enough to drink what was set out for the black bulls
      as well, being able to outrun all those that discovered the theft.

      His résumé of 29 overall wins of 100-mile footraces stands--among bulls,
      horses, and motorcars--as an all-time record.

      He is currently being pursued by the federal government--but not for what
      you think. His boundless energy is now highly coveted as a possible
      green-power electrical supply source.

      The Obama Administration figures his legs could help keep Utah lit for the
      next few dozen years.

      His was the first podcast interview that had to be conducted on a space pod,
      since he was preparing to launch himself into orbit.

      Currently his training regimen has him circling the Earth, running at
      altitude above the ozone layer, dodging the meteors, and refueling as
      necessary at the international space aid station which, when the Russians
      are there, is stocked with Red Bear.

      He is The Most Interesting Man in the World.

      "I don't always outrun all the animals; but when I do, I prefer beating the
      goats. Stay speedy, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      www.eatmedaily.com/2009/06/doe-equis-ad-campaign-the-most-interesting-man-in
      -the-world-video

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["your fiendly neighborly 800-year-old lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      What in the hell is a "podcast"?