1639Re: [hr100] Travel plans

    Jun 6, 2008
      I probably won't wear the FiveFingers for Hardrock, but I would prefer a lighter shoe to save time. I was reading a study of the effects of running on an incline at http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/93/3/1039 which may be of interest to Hardrock runners.

      Anyway it mentions in the introduction another study showing that adding 1 kg to the lower limbs adds up to 7% to energy costs (i.e. 7% slower) depending on position. The worst place for extra weight would be your feet. I find that the Mayfly has too much arch support, so I modified mine by carving out the outsole under the arch with a pocketknife. This reduces the weight by 0.1 ounce (from 4.6 to 4.5). According to my calculations this modification should save me 68 seconds in a 48 hour race. This means last year I would have finished in 47:59:20.

      I have also been studying the effects of running a marathon one week before Hardrock vs. the effects of running two marathons. In 2006 (see http://www.mattmahoney.net/2006/ ) I did:

      July 1, Leadville marathon in 5:45
      July 9, Copper Mt. marathon in 4:48
      July 14, Hardrock in 48:06:58

      In 2007 (see http://www.mattmahoney.net/2007.html ) I did:

      July 7, Leadville marathon in 5:45
      July 13, Hardrock in 48:00:28

      which leads me to the conclusion that each marathon adds 6.5 minutes to my Hardrock time.

      I guess I should mention about my slow marathons. I live in Florida, which has no hills, snow, rocks, or altitude (17 ft elevation). Last Nov. I ran 3:26 on a local course (Space Coast). Leadville starts at 10,152 ft, climbs to 13,185 on jeep roads and trails, then returns. It has many smaller hills for a total of 6600 ft of climb. Copper Mt. was on paved bike path and smooth dirt roads. It started at 9700 ft, climbed to 11,200, turned around at 9500 and returned the same way for 3200 ft of climb.

      I don't know if the altitude had an effect, or maybe I was just out of shape. But my legs were never sore after any of the marathons. I always climbed Mt. Elbert the day after each marathon just to make sure.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic