1560Re: [hr100] The state of the 2008 Run

  • Steve Pero
    May 8, 2008
      Written in the latest Silverton Standard are the words below written by
      Freddie Canfield, which gives me some hope!

      "Warming weather has blessed our realm in recent days. April ended with a
      high one degree shy of 60. We have not been disappointed with the beginning
      of May. Lows have been edging gradually higher, into the teens and 20's now
      for over three weeks.
      Even with one day's high below freezing and another day barely above,
      overall we continue to thaw out.
      Four days bettered 50 and on Monday we actually reached 60.8 and Tuesday
      60.9. Also, winds decreased on Sunday and have only occasionally been brisk
      on the days since.
      Wildlife reports of both great and small species continue. Three of my good
      friends encountered an equal number of elk while high altitude rock
      scrambling. If any of you have stories of other non-migrating elk surviving
      the winter, please share with me.
      A very small species that requires our immediate assistance has returned.
      Hummingbirds are back, so get out your feeders!
      Last week, I sensed a change in the way the air smells. This week, I can
      clearly detect a quality of sweetness. May sweetness find a place in all
      aspects of our lives."

      see you all in June!
      Steve
      --