146Re: Hardrock is only 90 miles!

  • John Cappis
    May 10, 2000

      Your point on the methodology used to obtain the distances for the
      Hardrock is well taken. It is done very deliberately for the

      Over the years, Charlie and I have measured between 150 and 200 miles
      of trail in Colorado and New Mexico by pushing a bike wheel fitted
      with a Jones counter. In 1992 and 93 Rick Trujillo measured about
      half of the Hardrock course using this wheel.

      All the courses were then laid out and measured on the map using the
      Pythagorean theorem as you suggest. Correlation with the in field
      measurements was poor and systematically biased low. We have assumed
      the in field measurements are the more accurate numbers. The best fit
      of the map to field turned out to be the the vertical distances are
      added directly to horizontal distances to obtain the totals.

      John Cappis

      --- In hr100@egroups.com, "Matt Mahoney" <matmahoney@y...> wrote:
      > I just got my Hardrock entry booklet today. Very nicely done, But
      on page 2
      > of the course description, item 6, it says:
      > "All mileage used were obtained by map measurement with on the
      ground wheel
      > measurement verifications for over half the course. To correct for
      > changes on the map measurements, the vertical distances are added
      > to horizontal distances to obtain the totals"
      > If we subtract the vertical distance (66,000 ft. = 12.5 miles) from
      > total distance (101.7 miles), we obtain a horizontal component of
      > miles. Then applying Pythagoras' theorem, which is the correct
      method of
      > combining horizontal and vertical distances (assuming a constant
      grade), we
      > have
      > sqrt(89.2^2 + 12.5^2) = 90.1 miles.
      > So this course is really not has hard as everyone says it is :-)
      > Also, a couple of minor errata:
      > 1. Carl Yates is listed as -27 years old (a lingering Y2K bug
      or did
      > we make an exception to the minimum age requirements?)
      > 2. At the absolute bottom of the all time finishers results (sorted
      > time), Fred Vance and I (with * by our names) are listed as
      > unofficially in 51:08 in '98. Our actual time was 51:38:34 (a
      > 34:23/mile pace, and I had the blisters to prove it).
      > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@y...
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic