14[hr100] Re: Food at Hardrock

  • Blake P. Wood
    Feb 11, 2000
      Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log (the one
      right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied across
      straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of hard on the
      butt, but much better than falling into a swift creek at 3 am.
      There IS a way to do it safely.

      - Blake

      Blake P. Wood
      Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
      Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
      (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
      http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

      At 09:11 AM 2/11/00 -0500, Dennis Herr wrote:
      No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to dummy-down the
      course, where does it end? What's next - a guardrail along
      Bear Creek, Ouray or helium ballons to make the climbs
      easier? Participants should rely more on their own ingenuity
      and less on the race organization to safely and successfully
      negotiate the challenges of the course.

      >A suggestion for this year's course: String up a handline
      for >that slimey one-log crossing of Cottonwood Creek at
      Cataract >Gulch (one line on each side would be even better) Two
      people >slipped off that log last year and took a dunking. That
      creek >runs swiftly and can be dangerous.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic