1140Hardrock photos...

  • Steve Pero
    Jul 14, 2005
      Ok...another year, another DNF...

      This is Hardrock, one of the biggest ultra challenges I attempt and is why I keep coming back. That and the people that I have met or meet in the two weeks leading up to this fantastic event are the real reason and the thing that keeps me going in this sport.

      My run started good, but as things went on and we got into Pole Creek, it got hot for this New Englander. By the time I reached Sherman AS at around mile 30, I was starting to feel that funky feeling of queasiness that comes with exertion in the heat. The walk up and over Handies was a struggle, much like in 2003 and I didn't have much left coming into Grouse. But I did want to try and refuel, rehydrate and get over to Ouray, so I had a cup of soup which made me sicker, finally ending up on a cot beside Margaret Heaphy. Margaret told me that this sometimes helps her stomach...Margaret always gets sick here, but she also always finishes. As I spiraled further and further into dehydration and exhaustion while lying there and shivering, the aid station med decided that I needed some external help and after cutting my bracelet, sent me into Silverton to get an IV. I ended up getting two bags and something for my nausea. End of story....

      But I will be back! I will enter and if I get in, will attempt my 5th Hardrock. Back in 2001 when I finished, I had planned on getting my fifth finish in 2006...hopefully I will get my 2nd...but this is Hardrock and there are more than just one thing that can and will get you here. This is why it is the baddest of bad, the hardest of hard, but it's also the most fun I ever have anywhere...

      My plan to get through this thing next year is for Deb and I to move to altitude, so hopefully before next year's race our address will be somewhere in the Rockies.

      Here are some pictures I took during course marking and during the race.
      http://community.webshots.com/album/395026752eoJBcN

      see you at the next one...
      Steve Pero
      Jaffrey, NH.