      From: hr100@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hr100@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:10 PM
      To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hr100] Digest Number 417

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. just wondering
      From: "MELODY VARNER" <melstrails@...>
      2. Re: just wondering
      From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...>
      3. Re: just wondering
      From: "Steve Pero" <ultrastevep@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:22 -0700
      From: "MELODY VARNER" <melstrails@...>
      Subject: just wondering

      Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the following scenario for this years run:

      1. First time runner of the HR100
      2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      . this person doesn't like the cold
      . lives at 2500 ft.
      . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is running Western States in June
      . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the night in Telluride specifically

      What do you do??

      Melody

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 05:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...>
      Subject: Re: just wondering

      --- MELODY VARNER <melstrails@...> wrote:
      > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the
      > following scenario for this years run:
      >
      > 1. First time runner of the HR100
      > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      > . this person doesn't like the cold
      > . lives at 2500 ft.
      > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      > . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is
      > running Western States in June
      > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the
      > night in Telluride specifically
      >
      > What do you do??
      >
      > Melody

      You should be prepared to finish without your pacer. Learn the route from
      Chapman to Silverton well because it will look very different on the second
      night when you aren't thinking straight. Hike KT to Silverton twice.

      Andrew Thompson posted a fascenating report from the Barkley about what can
      happen to your mind after 2 nights without sleep.
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/2005/andrew.html

      It reminds me of my deteriorating mental state when I got lost on Putnam
      ridge in 1998 when the flags disappeared. I had hiked it in training a
      week earlier and had a map and compass, but I still was lost and wandered
      in circles for 3 hours in the middle of the night until the next runner
      (Fred Vance) came along and we eventually made it back to Silverton in
      51:38.

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:21:25 -0400
      From: "Steve Pero" <ultrastevep@...>

      Go without the pacer and hang with some experienced Hardrockers, you'll be better off!

      Steve