1033Re: [hr100] just wondering

    May 12, 2005
      --- MELODY VARNER <melstrails@...> wrote:
      > Just wondered what experienced finishers at Hardrock thought about the
      > following scenario for this years run:
      >
      > 1. First time runner of the HR100
      > 2. Has a one time finisher ( HURT100) friend to pace them
      > . this person doesn't like the cold
      > . lives at 2500 ft.
      > . no experience in snow, ice, elevation or weather
      > . can't go to any of the course marking days because he/she is
      > running Western States in June
      > . and wants their pacing experience to allow them to spend the
      > night in Telluride specifically
      >
      > What do you do??
      >
      > Melody

      You should be prepared to finish without your pacer. Learn the route from
      Chapman to Silverton well because it will look very different on the second
      night when you aren't thinking straight. Hike KT to Silverton twice.

      Andrew Thompson posted a fascenating report from the Barkley about what can
      happen to your mind after 2 nights without sleep.
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/2005/andrew.html

      It reminds me of my deteriorating mental state when I got lost on Putnam
      ridge in 1998 when the flags disappeared. I had hiked it in training a
      week earlier and had a map and compass, but I still was lost and wandered
      in circles for 3 hours in the middle of the night until the next runner
      (Fred Vance) came along and we eventually made it back to Silverton in
      51:38.