This week's story from the Blinkspace...

  • Edward Martin III
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2011
      This week's story is another marathon commission from the H. P.
      Lovecraft Film Festival.

      His Great Power definitely enjoys the Lovecraftian mechanism of having
      someone tell the story, giving us a chance to have it unfold based
      entirely on the ability of the character-as-storyteller. I think it
      can be a pretty neat mechanism, if not overdone.

      Check it out at: http://www.guerrilla-productions.org/Blinkspace/?p=69

      People following our moviemaking stuff closely might be interested to
      know that this week's story, recast into a piratey sort of tale, is
      the basis for our upcoming short film of piratey terror: "Blood".

      Cheers,

      Edward

      --
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      http://www.Guerrilla-Productions.org/
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
        Mr. Martin, as a writer myself, I have to say you came up with a wonderful, spare chiller. I could almost see Richard Corben illustrating this story and making it sing (no disrespect to any fine animators you may have at Guerrilla Productions). This is such a bare-bones basic story--how do you plan on expanding it or can you say?

        Jay

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
          Hi jay,

          Thanks!

          Richard Corben's done some awesome animations for the Lovecraft Film Festival!

          We are adapting it -- sorta -- for a short film called "Blood" that
          we'll be shooting early Summer/late Spring. Hoping to have it ready
          at the same time as our next feature.

          The thing about this story is that I think if it goes on too long, the
          reader will see the end coming. That's something that always drives
          me nuts about certain scary tales -- I can usually guess what's going
          to happen before the story is halfway finished.

          But I CAN see this story (or, well, parts of it) being part of a LARGER tale...

          (heh)

          Cheers,

          Edward

          On 4 April 2011 13:43, Jay <bareshark1975@...> wrote:

          > Mr. Martin, as a writer myself, I have to say you came up with a wonderful, spare chiller. I could almost see Richard Corben illustrating this story and making it sing (no disrespect to any fine animators you may have at Guerrilla Productions). This is such a bare-bones basic story--how do you plan on expanding it or can you say?
          >
          > Jay

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
            Dear Edward (if I may call you that),

            Ahh, another Corben fan! Pleased to make your acquaintance! I myself found him through comics. My first formal introduction was the very Lovecraftian opening piece of the "Weird War Tales" revival through DC/Vertigo and "Monster Maker" in "Batman: Black and White" Volume 1. But his comics adaptations of Poe, Hodgson, and, yes, Lovecraft are what get my motor going, approaching the source material like a film director.

            You wouldn't happen to be looking for a writer at the moment, would you? I make no great literary claims myself, but I'm always interested in opportunities to show off my work (getting paid is nice too, believe me, but I work on the theory that exposure can eventually lead to that).

            One last thing: has Guerrilla Productions ever considered making a complete Internet series of films that would work like an old TV anthology series (think Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents)? I honestly think that, within the next decade, we are going to see such original, Web-only content become a rising star. I want to be a part of something like that.

            Well, I hope that I've not bored you silly with my ruminations. Thanks! Take care!

            Jay

            --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, Edward Martin III <edwardmartiniii@...> wrote:

            > Hi jay,
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Richard Corben's done some awesome animations for the Lovecraft Film Festival!
            >
            > We are adapting it -- sorta -- for a short film called "Blood" that
            > we'll be shooting early Summer/late Spring. Hoping to have it ready
            > at the same time as our next feature.
            >
            > The thing about this story is that I think if it goes on too long, the
            > reader will see the end coming. That's something that always drives
            > me nuts about certain scary tales -- I can usually guess what's going
            > to happen before the story is halfway finished.
            >
            > But I CAN see this story (or, well, parts of it) being part of a LARGER tale...
            >
            > (heh)
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Edward
            >

            > On 4 April 2011 13:43, Jay <bareshark1975@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Mr. Martin, as a writer myself, I have to say you came up with a wonderful, spare chiller. I could almost see Richard Corben illustrating this story and making it sing (no disrespect to any fine animators you may have at Guerrilla Productions). This is such a bare-bones basic story--how do you plan on expanding it or can you say?
            > >
            > > Jay

          • Edward Martin III
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
              Hi Jay,

              "if I may call you that"

              I think so far, this is a first-name-basis group. 8)

              "But his comics adaptations of Poe, Hodgson, and, yes, Lovecraft are
              what get my motor going, approaching the source material like a film
              director."

              Did you know he's animated a couple of short Lovecraft stories?
              Very... Corbenesque, and very fun.

              "You wouldn't happen to be looking for a writer at the moment, would you?"

              We've been talking about opening up Blinkspace to other writers,
              although we wanted to let it find its legs first.

              "One last thing: has Guerrilla Productions ever considered making a
              complete Internet series of films that would work like an old TV
              anthology series (think Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock
              Presents)?"

              Yep, absolutely. We have two series in the works, in fact. It's a
              schedule that will probably kill us, but the wheels are already
              turning, development is already unfolding even as we speak.

              "I want to be a part of something like that."

              Stay tuned, then -- anything we announce, in addition to the many
              other places we announce it, is also announced here.

              Cheers,

              Edward
            • Jay
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
                Hey Edward,

                > Did you know he's animated a couple of short Lovecraft stories?
                > Very... Corbenesque, and very fun.

                I DID know now he worked in animation (wasn't he involved in the original Heavy Metal film?) and the 3-D quality of his comics drawings reflect that. Can you give me more info on those animated Lovecraft short stories?

                > We've been talking about opening up Blinkspace to other writers,
                > although we wanted to let it find its legs first.

                I understand...it's hard out there right now. But I'd love to submit for Blinkspace should the opportunity arise.

                > Yep, absolutely. We have two series in the works, in fact. It's a
                > schedule that will probably kill us, but the wheels are already
                > turning, development is already unfolding even as we speak.

                Awesome! Frankly, my suspicion is that the time is right for just such production on a large scale. I confidently predict (barring the return of the Great Old Ones, of course) that such productions will be commonplace by the end of the decade. It would revolutionize entertainment in a way not seen since the rise of television in the 1950s. To be facing a creative challenge is why I'd love to be part of that.

                Thank you for your kind answers, Edward. I'll keep up with new postings on Blinkspace as much as possible from this point forward. Would you like me to highlight it and Guerrilla Productions to my contacts to help get word out? Take care!

                Jay
              • Edward Martin III
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2011
                  Hey Jay,

                  "I DID know now he worked in animation (wasn't he involved in the
                  original Heavy Metal film?) and the 3-D quality of his comics drawings
                  reflect that. Can you give me more info on those animated Lovecraft
                  short stories?"

                  Here's a link from his website:

                  http://www.muuta.net/Corben/Movies.html

                  I've seen The Canal and another one that's not listed. Can't remember
                  the title.

                  "But I'd love to submit for Blinkspace should the opportunity arise."

                  Noted.

                  Heh -- I just finished Friday's story (not a moment too soon!). Been
                  doing a lot of "grrl power" stories. Kinda neat -- makes me stretch
                  my mind more.

                  "Frankly, my suspicion is that the time is right for just such
                  production on a large scale."

                  The distribution of media is completely changing. We are working to
                  take as much advantage of it as possible -- will be doing the
                  occasional announcement here and there. Specifically here. Heh.

                  "Thank you for your kind answers, Edward."

                  Of course! I LOVE talking about this stuff!

                  "Would you like me to highlight it and Guerrilla Productions to my
                  contacts to help get word out?"

                  I would LOVE it if people shared the Blinkspace links -- that's why I
                  post those stories -- so people can share them and pass the links
                  around to friends and maybe say "Hey, this is some weird shit -- check
                  it out!"

                  Have fun!

                  Cheers,

                  Edward