  • Hammer Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
      Come on guys!!
      Lets get something going!!

      Read anything good lately?

    • Graham Evans
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
        Hammer Smith wrote:

        > Come on guys!!
        > Lets get something going!!
        >
        > Read anything good lately?

        The Hyperborea collection by Clark Ashton Smith.

        Not quite as good as I remember King Kull to be - that was my very
        favourite book as a teenager. It had the romance of being a crumbling
        paperback with the acid making the very pages disintegrate even as the
        binding gave out. That's literally meant to be how pulp fiction is
        meant to be.

        The feeling of of CAS Hyperborea was really similar to King Kull
        however, if my memory isn't playing tricks. Desperate drug addled
        sorcery in the Wild West kind of thing. Thulsa Doom. Even the names
        sound similar. As far as movies go Conan the Barbarian was the only one
        which ever really captured this feel for me. Possibly also Time Bandits.

        Anyway back to CAS, I was wondering if Jabba the Hut was inspired by the
        White Worm.

        Also thinking about the way Lovecraft and CAS have all this overlap but
        are travelling in entirely different directions.

        Graham

      • Hammer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
          --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, Graham Evans <gray@...> wrote:

          > Hammer Smith wrote:
          > >

          > > Come on guys!!
          > > Lets get something going!!
          > >
          > > Read anything good lately?
          > >

          > The Hyperborea collection by Clark Ashton Smith.
          >
          > Not quite as good as I remember King Kull to be - that was my very
          > favourite book as a teenager. It had the romance of being a crumbling
          > paperback with the acid making the very pages disintegrate even as the
          > binding gave out. That's literally meant to be how pulp fiction is
          > meant to be.
          >
          > The feeling of of CAS Hyperborea was really similar to King Kull
          > however, if my memory isn't playing tricks. Desperate drug addled
          > sorcery in the Wild West kind of thing. Thulsa Doom. Even the names
          > sound similar. As far as movies go Conan the Barbarian was the only one
          > which ever really captured this feel for me. Possibly also Time Bandits.
          >
          > Anyway back to CAS, I was wondering if Jabba the Hut was inspired by the
          > White Worm.
          >
          > Also thinking about the way Lovecraft and CAS have all this overlap but
          > are travelling in entirely different directions.
          >
          > Graham

          Agreed. there is an overlap,I wonder how much this overlap was due
          to the relationship between the two guys.
          The "KlarkAshton" stuff from Lovecraft must have intrigued and flattered the young Smith.
          To me,Smith was more Swash buckle and Sword play,with a venture or two into the "Dreamlands" portion of his mentors mythos.
          Smith, in his own right of course is a formidable and interesting character.
          Just not my cup of tea. If this is all inchorent,chalk it up 50/50
          to ignorance and larger.
        • isiscrisis@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2009
            H. G Wells is good. His work is a little similar to Lovecraft's in some way, and not just because of scary aliens that eat people. The Island of Doctor Moreau, if interpreted like an allegory of creation, suggests a really narcissistic, cruel, megalomaniac god whose most horrific abuse of animal kind, other than pure physical torture, is to give some of it some small degree of reason and capacity for understanding.

            So it's got the malevolent god thing going on, and that understanding is linked badness to boot.

            Around the time I was reading Wells I was also reading Wodehouse, and there wouldn't have been any way to tie that in, except I read Something that pointed out Lovecraft looks like Stephen Fry, who -- kaching! -- played Jeeves on the TV adaptation of Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves stories. I agree, they look similar, so there's my Baconesque excuse for bringing up Wodehouse.