A particular story

  • claricejean53
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
      I am on the hunt for a specific story that I think HPLovecraft wrote. I read it over 40 years ago, and darned if I dont recall the name of it. What I remember is a man lived in a home and a visitor, who relates the story, came to visit. He found that the man had plastered all the interior walls in his home so no right angles existed. I believe the home owner explains that he has found that other worldly beings can enter our world through right angles so, he prevents this from happening. Story ends with plaster coming off a wall and the visitor finds some proof his friend was not mad.

      I would love to reread this. I have looked at DCarrell's website,from a link he posted, with so many Lovecraft stories, but soooooo many stories (and what a wonderful site that is!)

      I must say I was also reading a lot of fantasy stories 40 years ago, lots of Theodore Sturgeon, but the flavor of the above story is so Lovecraftian. Does anyone recognise it from my brief recollection?
    • Christopher 'Vulpine' Kalley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, claricejean53 wrote:

        > I am on the hunt for a specific story that I think HPLovecraft wrote. I read it over 40 years ago, and darned if I dont recall the name of it. What I remember is a man lived in a home and a visitor, who relates the story, came to visit. He found that the man had plastered all the interior walls in his home so no right angles existed. I believe the home owner explains that he has found that other worldly beings can enter our world through right angles so, he prevents this from happening. Story ends with plaster coming off a wall and the visitor finds some proof his friend was not mad.
        >
        > I would love to reread this. I have looked at DCarrell's website,from a link he posted, with so many Lovecraft stories, but soooooo many stories (and what a wonderful site that is!)
        >
        > I must say I was also reading a lot of fantasy stories 40 years ago, lots of Theodore Sturgeon, but the flavor of the above story is so Lovecraftian. Does anyone recognise it from my brief recollection?

        Not a Lovecraft story, but one written by a friend of his. The story is
        'The Hounds of Tindalos' by Frank Belknap Long.

        --
        Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley | Geek Page: http://www.cabal23.net
        Cabal23.net - Admin & WebGeek | Personal Page: http://www.cyberfox.org

        "Reintarnation: To die and come back to life as a hillbilly."
      • claricejean53
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
          --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, Christopher 'Vulpine' Kalley

          <vulpine@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, claricejean53 wrote:
          >
          > > I am on the hunt for a specific story that I think HPLovecraft wrote. I read it over 40 years ago, and darned if I dont recall the name of it. What I remember is a man lived in a home and a visitor, who relates the story, came to visit. He found that the man had plastered all the interior walls in his home so no right angles existed. I believe the home owner explains that he has found that other worldly beings can enter our world through right angles so, he prevents this from happening. Story ends with plaster coming off a wall and the visitor finds some proof his friend was not mad.
          > >
          > > I would love to reread this. I have looked at DCarrell's website,from a link he posted, with so many Lovecraft stories, but soooooo many stories (and what a wonderful site that is!)
          > >
          > > I must say I was also reading a lot of fantasy stories 40 years ago, lots of Theodore Sturgeon, but the flavor of the above story is so Lovecraftian. Does anyone recognise it from my brief recollection?
          > >

          > Not a Lovecraft story, but one written by a friend of his. The story is
          > 'The Hounds of Tindalos' by Frank Belknap Long.
          >

          > --
          > Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley | Geek Page: http://www.cabal23.net
          > Cabal23.net - Admin & WebGeek | Personal Page: http://www.cyberfox.org
          >
          > "Reintarnation: To die and come back to life as a hillbilly."

          Thank you for the quick response. I found the story online and have reread it. Less gothic in tone than I remember, but that is the Lovecraft memories. Still, a fine story.

          And, the youtube reading, that was actually HPLovecraft reading his work?

          thanks again
        • Edward Martin III
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
            Christopher writes "And, the youtube reading, that was actually
            HPLovecraft reading his work?"

            I don't think there exists recordings of H. P. Lovecraft reading his work.

            Cheers,

            Edward
          • Donald Correll
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
              Ia Cthulhu!

              I have written you on the side with a link to the Frank Belknap Long story so hopefully you are now happily reading.
              Re: I would love to reread this. I have looked at DCarrell's website,from a link he posted, with so many Lovecraft stories, but soooooo many stories (and what a wonderful site that is!
              Thanx for the nice word. And yes it is a lot of stories. I spent close ot a year just collecting and posting as much as I could of the works mentioned by Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature. Lately I have been recovering from serious illness so I have not been able to do much to improve the site lately, especially navigation. I have no staff, it is just me, but I am appreciative and will look at the navigation to try to put in more cross listing by genre but for now you can Browse most of my site by author at:
              http://www.donaldcorrell.com/road/#alpha or you may go to my main page at:
              http://www.donaldcorrell.com/index.html
              where I have listed by genre. At the foot of either page there is a Search the Website function by Google as well.
              I am now nearing completion of a CD of the entire site to offer some 175 top level folders of about 555 mb. So that in the future you may be able to get the entire collection to search and read at leisure. When I get back on track and burn the CD I may then be able to get back to the book I am writing. You may view the Final Draft of what has been completed so far at:
              http://www.donaldcorrell.com/road/road.html
              Where I give my opinions and insight into the entire phenomenon of Hp Lovecraft, the Necronomicon, and the Cthulhu Mythos. I have been enjoying the great fiction of Lovecraft, Howard, Smith and others since 1969 and have read and reread most of the sories three or four times. I never get tired of the mythos. Eventually if I can ever get past the 'writers cramp' I hope to write a few of my own Cthulhu Mythos stories and join that club called the 'Lovecraft Circle.'
              And as you may have guessed my shelf is quite crowded with books and movies on the subject. The only thing I cannot seem to be able to do is get past the first level of the game 'Call of Cthulhu'.
              Donald Correll

              ________________________________
              On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, claricejean53 wrote:

              > I am on the hunt for a specific story that I think HPLovecraft wrote. I read it over 40 years ago, and darned if I dont recall the name of it. What I remember is a man lived in a home and a visitor, who relates the story, came to visit. He found that the man had plastered all the interior walls in his home so no right angles existed. I believe the home owner explains that he has found that other worldly beings can enter our world through right angles so, he prevents this from happening. Story ends with plaster coming off a wall and the visitor finds some proof his friend was not mad.
              >
              > I would love to reread this. I have looked at DCarrell's website,from a link he posted, with so many Lovecraft stories, but soooooo many stories (and what a wonderful site that is!)
              >
              > I must say I was also reading a lot of fantasy stories 40 years ago, lots of Theodore Sturgeon, but the flavor of the above story is so Lovecraftian. Does anyone recognise it from my brief recollection?

              Not a Lovecraft story, but one written by a friend of his. The story is
              'The Hounds of Tindalos' by Frank Belknap Long.

              --
              Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley | Geek Page: http://www.cabal23 net
              Cabal23.net- Admin & WebGeek | Personal Page: http://www.cyberfox.org

              "Reintarnation: To die and come back to life as a hillbilly."

            • Graham Evans
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
                Donald Correll wrote:

                Brilliant website - I want to read everything...

                I just need a decent e-book reader and I'm set.

                Graham Evans