Re: [HP Lovecraft] Welcome to hplovecraf

  • John Hogan
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
      Fairly new to this group myself. It has seemed kind of quiet.

      Just for fun, how about if everyone lists their favorite HPL work. For me, it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath"

      I look forward to learning much from this group.
      Jesse

    • Django
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
        my favorite is The Thing on the Doorstep or The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward

        Sent from my iPhone

      • dpbailey@att.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
          "The Whisperer in Darkness," hands (or tentacles ...) down.

          Dan

          -------------- Original message from John Hogan <hoganjohn99@...>: --------------

          Fairly new to this group myself. It has seemed kind of quiet.

          Just for fun, how about if everyone lists their favorite HPL work. For me, it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath"

          I look forward to learning much from this group.
          Jesse

        • Christopher 'Vulpine' Kalley
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
            On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, dpbailey@... wrote:

            > "The Whisperer in Darkness," hands (or tentacles ...) down.
            >
            > Dan

            Dunwich Horror or Shadows over Innsmouth, but there aren't many stories
            I don't like from HPL.

            --
            Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley | Geek Page: http://www.cabal23.net
            Cabal23.net - Admin & WebGeek | Personal Page: http://www.cyberfox.org

            "Ah, here we are - 'How to Raise the Dead'." - Bart Simpson
          • Willis, Jesse
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
              It's a little lightweight I guess, but I have always loved "Cool
              Air" and Lovecraft's letters to REH and others. Some would say that
              it's an inconsequential story that does not build the mythos but what is
              wrong with that. Written during his unhappy New York days I think that
              the story delivers. I first found out about this story as an episode of
              the old Night Gallery and that lead me to his books.

              Jesse

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                There is a new movie version of 'The Dunwich Horror' that I saw at the H.P. Lovecraft film festival last weekend. It stars Jeffrey Combs as Wilbur Whately and Dean Stockwell as Dr. Armitage. This is not the 1970's version starring Dean Stockwell, but a new and different take on the story that fails in new and exciting ways.

                Its laughably bad. For some reason, it was deemed necessary to relocate the story to Louisiana and, while I appreciated the bevy of nubile young women sprinkled throughout the movie, I don't really remember that being a feature of the story either.

                > "The Whisperer in Darkness," hands (or tentacles ...) down.
                >
                > Dan

                Dunwich Horror or Shadows over Innsmouth, but there aren't many stories
                I don't like from HPL.

                --
                Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley | Geek Page: http://www.cabal23 net
                Cabal23.net - Admin & WebGeek | Personal Page: http://www.cyberfox .org

                "Ah, here we are - 'How to Raise the Dead'." - Bart Simpson

              • Someone from the Petting Zoo
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                  John writes "For me, it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath'"

                  I have a soft spot in my heart for HPL's fantasy, too, and Dream-Quest
                  in particular.

                  You've seen this, right:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Lovecrafts-Dream-Quest-Kadath-Edward-
                  Martin/dp/B000OUNXGO
                  Or, more directly:
                  http://www.guerrilla-productions.org/Merchandise.html

                  Cheers,

                  Edward

                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  http://www.Guerrilla-Productions.org/
                  Because making movies is FUN!
                • Someone from the Petting Zoo
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Jesse writes "It's a little lightweight I guess, but I have always
                    loved "Cool Air"..."

                    Did you know there's a very neat adaptation of "Cool Air" directed by
                    Bryan Moore?

                    It's very nicely done.

                    Cheers,

                    Edward

                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                      " Did you know there's a very neat adaptation of "Cool Air" directed by
                      Bryan Moore?

                      It's very nicely done. "

                      That was on one of the Lovecraft collections that's out on DVD right. I
                      have four volumes and have just ordered the fifth. I enjoyed them. I
                      feel that the filmmakers cared for their subject and tried to the best
                      of their ability and budget.

                      Best

                      Jesse

                      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=5301554/grpspId=1705019751/m
                      sgId=5753/stime=1223396131/nc1=5008817/nc2=4025321/nc3=4836040>

                    • Melissa
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                        Dreamquest has always been one of my fav's. In fact I have a Night Gaunt
                        tattoo on my ankle :) While I love all of his stories I think that my
                        absolute favorite is the first story of his that I read: The Outsider. The
                        Thing of the Doorstep is a close second.

                        -Melissa
                        http://www.myspace.com/cthulhupalooza

                        On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM, John Hogan <hoganjohn99@...> wrote:

                        > Fairly new to this group myself. It has seemed kind of quiet.
                        >
                        > Just for fun, how about if everyone lists their favorite HPL work. For me,
                        > it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath"

                      • MorganScorpion
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                          Sometimes its "The Dunwich Horror", other times it's "The Music of Erich
                          Zann".
                          Regards
                          Morgan

                          On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Melissa <mwalsh005@...> wrote:

                          > Dreamquest has always been one of my fav's. In fact I have a Night Gaunt
                          > tattoo on my ankle :) While I love all of his stories I think that my
                          > absolute favorite is the first story of his that I read: The Outsider. The
                          > Thing of the Doorstep is a close second.
                          >
                          > -Melissa
                          > http://www.myspace.com/cthulhupalooza
                          >

                          > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM, John Hogan <hoganjohn99@...<hoganjohn99%40yahoo.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > Fairly new to this group myself. It has seemed kind of quiet.
                          > >
                          > > Just for fun, how about if everyone lists their favorite HPL work. For
                          > me,
                          > > it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath"

                        • rhinefrank
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                            Hey Lovecraftians-
                            My favorite Lovecraft story has to be Nyarlathotep, because HPL
                            conveys in such dreamlike/nightmarish language of what the Old Ones
                            have in store for the human race.
                            -Rhinefrank

                            --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, MorganScorpion
                            <morganscorpion@...> wrote:

                            > Sometimes its "The Dunwich Horror", other times it's "The Music of Erich
                            > Zann".
                            > Regards
                            > Morgan
                            >
                            > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Melissa <mwalsh005@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Dreamquest has always been one of my fav's. In fact I have a
                            Night Gaunt
                            > > tattoo on my ankle :) While I love all of his stories I think that my
                            > > absolute favorite is the first story of his that I read: The
                            Outsider. The
                            > > Thing of the Doorstep is a close second.
                            > >
                            > > -Melissa
                            > > http://www.myspace.com/cthulhupalooza
                            > >

                            > > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM, John Hogan
                            <hoganjohn99@...<hoganjohn99%40yahoo.com>>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Fairly new to this group myself. It has seemed kind of quiet.
                            > > >
                            > > > Just for fun, how about if everyone lists their favorite HPL
                            work. For
                            > > me,
                            > > > it would be 'Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath"

                          • Nathalie Stepitch
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 8, 2008
                              I love all HPL work, in my current mood my answer is The Night Ocean

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 8, 2008
                                Jesse writes "That was on one of the Lovecraft collections that's out
                                on DVD right."

                                Yep, the first one, if I recall correctly.

                                Cheers,

                                Edward
                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 8, 2008
                                  Someone from the Petting Zoo wrote:
                                  > Jesse writes "That was on one of the Lovecraft collections that's out
                                  > on DVD right."
                                  >
                                  > Yep, the first one, if I recall correctly.

                                  Hi Guys,
                                  how about a definitive list of all of HPL's work on Video & Audio?
                                  I think Ive got most of the Audio work, but not a lot of video.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 8, 2008
                                    Steve writes "how about a definitive list of all of HPL's work on
                                    Video & Audio?"

                                    Wow.

                                    Would it surprise you that this would be a book's worth of material?

                                    In fact, here's that book:
                                    http://www.arkhambazaar.com/index.php?
                                    main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=35

                                    If you can't reconstruct the URL, then just go to
                                    http://www.arkhambazaar.com/
                                    and go to the third page of books.

                                    Serve chilled...

                                    Cheers,