Short Story:

  • Norm Ishmael
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 5, 2008
      Does this ring a bell with Anyone?
      i am looking for a Short story I read long ago.
      It must have been set in the early 1920's.
      It dealt with a Aviator and a new aircraft he had developed that was capable of reaching great altitudes.
      The bulk of the story was made up of entries from his journal that described huge aerial-Jellyfish like creatures in the upper air.
      It ended with his being eaten by such a creature.

      Any Ideas about the title or author?
      Thanks

    • Norm Ishmael

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 6, 2008
          H G Wells : The Horror of the Heights.

          Best wishes
          Morgan

          On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

          > Guys the Subject line came out wrong. i know this is not a Lovecraft
          > story,but kinda Mythos like.
          > Norm Ishmael <normishmael@... <normishmael%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Does
          > this ring a bell with Anyone?
          >
          > i am looking for a Short story I read long ago.
          > It must have been set in the early 1920's.
          > It dealt with a Aviator and a new aircraft he had developed that was
          > capable of reaching great altitudes.
          > The bulk of the story was made up of entries from his journal that
          > described huge aerial-Jellyfish like creatures in the upper air.
          > It ended with his being eaten by such a creature.
          >
          > Any Ideas about the title or author?
          > Thanks

        • Norm Ishmael
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 6, 2008
            Thanks ,You never Miss!

            MorganScorpion <morganscorpion@...> wrote: H G Wells : The Horror of the Heights.

            Best wishes
            Morgan

            On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

            > Guys the Subject line came out wrong. i know this is not a Lovecraft
            > story,but kinda Mythos like.
            > Norm Ishmael <normishmael@... <normishmael%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Does
            > this ring a bell with Anyone?
            >
            > i am looking for a Short story I read long ago.
            > It must have been set in the early 1920's.
            > It dealt with a Aviator and a new aircraft he had developed that was
            > capable of reaching great altitudes.
            > The bulk of the story was made up of entries from his journal that
            > described huge aerial-Jellyfish like creatures in the upper air.
            > It ended with his being eaten by such a creature.
            >
            > Any Ideas about the title or author?
            > Thanks

          • Malcolm Johnson
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 6, 2008
              The Horror of the Heights was actually written by Arthur Conan Doyle.
            • MorganScorpion
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                Is my face red?

                Yes he's right, it's by Sir Arthur. And its online at the link below.

                http://www.literaturepage.com/read/tales-of-terror-and-mystery-1.html

                I should have googled first.

                All the best
                Morgan

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                  While we are at it...
                  A short story from about the same time frame.
                  Set on a Ocean liner.
                  Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving into a torrent of blood.
                  Title/Author?

                  These are not "test" questions,just an old horror Junkie trying to regain some of the stories from his youth.
                  The great thing about these jewels of the Macabre,is they are mostly so old they are Public Domain,and once I have the Title,i can scratch them out of the Net!

                  thanks

                  MorganScorpion <morganscorpion@...> wrote: Is my face red?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                    Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.

                    Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.

                    Regards
                    Morgan

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                      Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                      Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                      story:

                      http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                      id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                      tag=public&part=1&division=div1

                      Merthyr Imp

                      > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                      >
                      > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Morgan
                      >

                      > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                      > > While we are at it...
                      > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                      > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                      > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                      aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                      called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                      into a torrent of blood.
                      > > Title/Author?

                    • Malcolm Johnson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                        --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Johnson" <malcjohnson@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                        > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                        > story:
                        >
                        > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                        > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                        > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                        >
                        > Merthyr Imp

                        Sorry - that link didn't work. Try this:

                        http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe-mystery.htm

                        Merthyr Imp
                      • Norm Ishmael
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 7, 2008
                          OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                          "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap Long.
                          I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                          This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.

                          Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@...> wrote:
                          Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                          Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                          story:

                          http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                          id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                          tag=public&part=1&division=div1

                          Merthyr Imp

                          > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                          >
                          > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Morgan
                          >

                          > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                          wrote:

                          > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                          > > While we are at it...
                          > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                          > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                          > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                          aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                          called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                          into a torrent of blood.
                          > > Title/Author?

                        • MorganScorpion
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                            That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                            intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                            Thanyou Norm.

                            Regards
                            Morgan

                            On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                            > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                            > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                            > Long.
                            > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                            > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                            >

                            > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                            > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                            > story:
                            >
                            > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                            > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                            > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                            >
                            > Merthyr Imp
                            >
                            > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                            > >
                            > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                            > >
                            > > Regards
                            > > Morgan
                            > >

                            > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                            > > > While we are at it...
                            > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                            > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                            > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                            > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                            > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                            > into a torrent of blood.
                            > > > Title/Author?

                          • dan bailey
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                              Huh. I have a *very* vague memory of reading a Long story by that name way back in the mid-'70s, & an even *vaguer* memory of its being set in the Egyptian wing of a museum, or something like that ... But obviously, those recollections are so flimsy that there's a far better chance they're completely wrong than that they're anywhere near right.

                              Purely off the top of my head, I'd have thought that the ocean-liner scenario setting you describe would raise the possiblility of authorship by Carl Jacobi (another fine author whom I unfortunately haven't read in more than 30 years).

                              Dan

                              That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                              intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                              Thanyou Norm.

                              Regards
                              Morgan

                              On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                              > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                              > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                              > Long.
                              > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                              > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                              >

                              > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                              > wrote:
                              > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                              > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                              > story:
                              >
                              > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                              > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                              > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                              >
                              > Merthyr Imp
                              >
                              > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                              > >
                              > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                              > >
                              > > Regards
                              > > Morgan
                              > >

                              > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                              > > > While we are at it...
                              > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                              > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                              > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                              > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                              > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                              > into a torrent of blood.
                              > > > Title/Author?

                            • Norm Ishmael
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                I have the The Street That Wasn't There, by Carl Jacobi.
                                That's about all,but a great story.
                                I am pretty sure the one I am after is the Frank Belknap Long story.
                                I have found it listed in a anthology called "Sea Cursed",along with some other stuff that looks worth having,also.
                                thanks norm

                                dan bailey <dpbailey@...> wrote: Huh. I have a *very* vague memory of reading a Long story by that name way back in the mid-'70s, & an even *vaguer* memory of its being set in the Egyptian wing of a museum, or something like that ... But obviously, those recollections are so flimsy that there's a far better chance they're completely wrong than that they're anywhere near right.

                                Purely off the top of my head, I'd have thought that the ocean-liner scenario setting you describe would raise the possiblility of authorship by Carl Jacobi (another fine author whom I unfortunately haven't read in more than 30 years).

                                Dan

                                That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                Thanyou Norm.

                                Regards
                                Morgan

                                On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                > Long.
                                > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                >

                                > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                > wrote:
                                > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                > story:
                                >
                                > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                >
                                > Merthyr Imp
                                >
                                > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                > >
                                > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                > >
                                > > Regards
                                > > Morgan
                                > >

                                > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                > > > While we are at it...
                                > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                > into a torrent of blood.
                                > > > Title/Author?

                              • dan bailey

                                  That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                  intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                  Thanyou Norm.

                                  Regards
                                  Morgan

                                  On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                  > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                  > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                  > Long.
                                  > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                  > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                  >

                                  > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                  > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                  > story:
                                  >
                                  > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                  > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                  > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                  >
                                  > Merthyr Imp
                                  >
                                  > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                  > >
                                  > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > Morgan
                                  > >

                                  > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                  > > > While we are at it...
                                  > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                  > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                  > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                  > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                  > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                  > into a torrent of blood.
                                  > > > Title/Author?

                                • Norm Ishmael
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                    I hear You.
                                    When I thank of all of the books I have mislaid,loaned out(never to see again),left behind on moves,etc,it makes me sick.
                                    I still prowl the yard sells,estate sales,crappy little used used book stories and what have you,looking for that rare find.
                                    A Ancient Arkham House First Edition,or something.
                                    Never do,of course,but its the hunt.
                                    Here in East Texas,Lovecraft/horror did not go over big.
                                    I can remember my Dad looking art me disgustedly,and saying: "Boy that Crap is gonna warp your Mind!"
                                    Been through TWO marriages from Hell,Lost hair,gained weight,changed politics,and a lot else,but my love for the old horror story is still freash!

                                    dan bailey <dpbailey@...> wrote: Now you've got me wondering what Long story *I'm* thinking of!

                                  • dan bailey
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                      Where in East Texas? As a kid, a huge portion of my collection came from a couple of used bookstores in Texarkana (I grew up about 40 miles east of there), including all of my early Lancer & Beagle HPL PBs.

                                      Lovecraftian-ly speaking, my best used bookstore finds (both made after I moved to Arizona to go to grad school) would've probably been a first edition of the AH Fourth Book of Jorkens by Dunsany for $3 or so &, I think,The Occult Lovecraft (I may be thinking of Talman's The Normal Lovecraft instead) for about the same. Both stayed in Arizona after divorce #1, of course.

                                      Dan

                                      That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                      intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                      Thanyou Norm.

                                      Regards
                                      Morgan

                                      On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                      > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                      > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                      > Long.
                                      > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                      > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                      >

                                      > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                      > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                      > story:
                                      >
                                      > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                      > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                      > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                      >
                                      > Merthyr Imp
                                      >
                                      > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                      > >
                                      > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                      > >
                                      > > Regards
                                      > > Morgan
                                      > >

                                      > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                      > > > While we are at it...
                                      > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                      > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                      > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                      > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                      > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                      > into a torrent of blood.
                                      > > > Title/Author?

                                    • Norm Ishmael
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                        About 90 miles west of Texarkana,on I-30. Sulphur Springs,Hopkins County.
                                        We had a a used Bookstore ran by an old dude named Vivian. (don't see that as a mans name outside of the UK,very often)
                                        He was a dead ringer for Clark Ashton Smith. You never knew if he was an average 60 or really fit 90.
                                        You would go in to buy (or exchange a paperback) and he would all ways call you back,and just give you another one in the same genre.
                                        He had a 1910 edition of Malory's Le Mort De'Arthur that he would not even quote a price on,but he always told me he would leave it to me when he died.
                                        Of course I was away for years,and by the time I came home he had been gone for a long time.
                                        I obtained a lot of Lovecraft from him,and the old Alfred Hitchcock books also.
                                        It was in one of them I read the Frank Belknap Long story i asked about.
                                        Wow. Memory Lane.Makes me want a Nehi red,a chair by the old water fan,and a stack of paperbacks!!
                                        dan bailey <dpbailey@...> wrote: Where in East Texas? As a kid, a huge portion of my collection came from a couple of used bookstores in Texarkana (I grew up about 40 miles east of there), including all of my early Lancer & Beagle HPL PBs.

                                        Lovecraftian-ly speaking, my best used bookstore finds (both made after I moved to Arizona to go to grad school) would've probably been a first edition of the AH Fourth Book of Jorkens by Dunsany for $3 or so &, I think,The Occult Lovecraft (I may be thinking of Talman's The Normal Lovecraft instead) for about the same. Both stayed in Arizona after divorce #1, of course.

                                        Dan

                                        That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                        intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                        Thanyou Norm.

                                        Regards
                                        Morgan

                                        On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                        > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                        > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                        > Long.
                                        > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                        > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                        >

                                        > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                        > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                        > story:
                                        >
                                        > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                        > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                        > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                        >
                                        > Merthyr Imp
                                        >
                                        > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                        > >
                                        > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                        > >
                                        > > Regards
                                        > > Morgan
                                        > >

                                        > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                        > > > While we are at it...
                                        > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                        > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                        > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                        > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                        > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                        > into a torrent of blood.
                                        > > > Title/Author?

                                      • dan bailey

                                          That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                          intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                          Thanyou Norm.

                                          Regards
                                          Morgan

                                          On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                          > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                          > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                          > Long.
                                          > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                          > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                          >

                                          > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                          > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                          > story:
                                          >
                                          > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                          > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                          > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                          >
                                          > Merthyr Imp
                                          >
                                          > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                          > >
                                          > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                          > >
                                          > > Regards
                                          > > Morgan
                                          > >

                                          > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                          > > > While we are at it...
                                          > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                          > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                          > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                          > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                          > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                          > into a torrent of blood.
                                          > > > Title/Author?

                                        • dan bailey
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                            >>the old Alfred Hitchcock books also.
                                            It was in one of them I read the Frank Belknap Long story i asked about.<<

                                            Yep. I can now verify that "Second Night Out" is indeed the story you're thinking of. It's in the Hitchcock "12 Stories for Late at Night" collection, which I just checked. (Luckily, my mystery shelves aren't nearly as numerous -- & hence as wildly disorganized & strewn about -- as my piles & stacks of horror & sf.)

                                            Dan

                                            That's a Frank Belknap Long story that I have not heard of before. Now I am
                                            intrigued, for I have a soft spot for him.

                                            Thanyou Norm.

                                            Regards
                                            Morgan

                                            On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                            > OK Brothers. Hours of goggling and I Thank I may have the title.
                                            > "Second Night Out" also known as "The Black Dead Thing" by Frank Belknap
                                            > Long.
                                            > I am not sure,because I cant really find any description of the contents.
                                            > This looks like one I am not going to be able to freebie off the Net.
                                            >

                                            > Malcolm Johnson <malcjohnson@... <malcjohnson%40hotmail.com>>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > Sorry - can't help. The name Roget suggests 'The Mystery of Marie
                                            > Roget' by Edgar Allan Poe, but your description doesn't fit that
                                            > story:
                                            >
                                            > http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?
                                            > id=PoeMyst.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&
                                            > tag=public&part=1&division=div1
                                            >
                                            > Merthyr Imp
                                            >
                                            > > Norm, I haven't a clue with that one.
                                            > >
                                            > > Maybe Mr Johnson will be able to help.
                                            > >
                                            > > Regards
                                            > > Morgan
                                            > >

                                            > > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > Morgan,No need for the red face. the title clinched the deal.
                                            > > > While we are at it...
                                            > > > A short story from about the same time frame.
                                            > > > Set on a Ocean liner.
                                            > > > Some sort of creature/entity in the body of a drowned ape,comes
                                            > aboard the ship,set in the deck chairs,and finally kills a passenger
                                            > called Dr.Roget or Blodget or something like that before dissolving
                                            > into a torrent of blood.
                                            > > > Title/Author?

                                          • dan bailey
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                              And the victim is indeed a Dr Blodgett. Good memory, Norm.

                                              Dan

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                                Yeah,good memory for 30 years ago.
                                                things get a bit sticky if you ask me what I had for dinner last night!
                                                I remember there was just something really errie about the idea of a reanimated ape.
                                                If you thank about how many times some sort of Ape shows up in horror.
                                                "the Monkeys Paw",the little ape toy with the clashing cymbals in the King story,THE MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE,there is a deep racial memory and unease with humans and apes.
                                                If you factor in the ocean,and a Simian Zoombie, you get a mental picture that stays with you.
                                                I would love to read that story.

                                                <dpbailey@...> wrote: And the victim is indeed a Dr Blodgett. Good memory, Norm.

                                                Dan

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                                  Lets not forget the ape in that story Green Tea. LeFanu I think it was. Oh
                                                  and didn't E F Benson write a story about an ape that haunted a surgeon?

                                                  Regards
                                                  Morgan

                                                  On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                                  > Yeah,good memory for 30 years ago.
                                                  > things get a bit sticky if you ask me what I had for dinner last night!
                                                  > I remember there was just something really errie about the idea of a
                                                  > reanimated ape.
                                                  > If you thank about how many times some sort of Ape shows up in horror.
                                                  > "the Monkeys Paw",the little ape toy with the clashing cymbals in the King
                                                  > story,THE MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE,there is a deep racial memory and unease
                                                  > with humans and apes.
                                                  > If you factor in the ocean,and a Simian Zoombie, you get a mental picture
                                                  > that stays with you.
                                                  > I would love to read that story.
                                                  >
                                                  > <dpbailey@... <dpbailey%40att.net>> wrote: And the victim is indeed a
                                                  > Dr Blodgett. Good memory, Norm.
                                                  >

                                                  > Dan
                                                  >
                                                  > >>the old Alfred Hitchcock books also.
                                                  > It was in one of them I read the Frank Belknap Long story i asked about.<<
                                                  >
                                                  > Yep. I can now verify that "Second Night Out" is indeed the story you're
                                                  > thinking of. It's in the Hitchcock "12 Stories for Late at Night"
                                                  > collection, which I just checked. (Luckily, my mystery shelves aren't nearly
                                                  > as numerous -- & hence as wildly disorganized & strewn about -- as my piles
                                                  > & stacks of horror & sf.)
                                                  >
                                                  > Dan

                                                • dan bailey
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 8, 2008
                                                    Also, Dario Argento seems to have a certain penchant for casting monkeys in his movies. At the very least, there's one in Phenomenon & apparently in the new Third Mother.

                                                    Michael Stewart's Monkey Shines (filmed by George Romero, though I've only read the novel) is quite memorable.

                                                    Dan

                                                    Lets not forget the ape in that story Green Tea. LeFanu I think it was. Oh
                                                    and didn't E F Benson write a story about an ape that haunted a surgeon?

                                                    Regards
                                                    Morgan

                                                    On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Norm Ishmael <normishmael@...> wrote:

                                                    > Yeah,good memory for 30 years ago.
                                                    > things get a bit sticky if you ask me what I had for dinner last night!
                                                    > I remember there was just something really errie about the idea of a
                                                    > reanimated ape.
                                                    > If you thank about how many times some sort of Ape shows up in horror.
                                                    > "the Monkeys Paw",the little ape toy with the clashing cymbals in the King
                                                    > story,THE MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE,there is a deep racial memory and unease
                                                    > with humans and apes.
                                                    > If you factor in the ocean,and a Simian Zoombie, you get a mental picture
                                                    > that stays with you.
                                                    > I would love to read that story.
                                                    >
                                                    > <dpbailey@... <dpbailey%40att.net>> wrote: And the victim is indeed a
                                                    > Dr Blodgett. Good memory, Norm.
                                                    >

                                                    > Dan
                                                    >
                                                    > >>the old Alfred Hitchcock books also.
                                                    > It was in one of them I read the Frank Belknap Long story i asked about.<<
                                                    >
                                                    > Yep. I can now verify that "Second Night Out" is indeed the story you're
                                                    > thinking of. It's in the Hitchcock "12 Stories for Late at Night"
                                                    > collection, which I just checked. (Luckily, my mystery shelves aren't nearly
                                                    > as numerous -- & hence as wildly disorganized & strewn about -- as my piles
                                                    > & stacks of horror & sf.)
                                                    >
                                                    > Dan

                                                  • MorganScorpion
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                      And our own H P L -s "Arthur Jermyn" aka "The White Ape"

                                                      Best wishes
                                                      Julia