Literary Criticism/Interpretation on Lovecraft

  • edher666
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
      Does anyone know of any good sources on literary criticism and
      interpretations on Lovecrafts work? The format does not matter, either
      books, web, anything will do? Any info is appreciated!!
    • Dave Goudsward
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        Either of Donald Burleson's works would be a good choice.

        A Critical Study (Contributions to the Study of Science Fiction and
        Fantasy) (1983)
        Lovecraft: Disturbing the Universe (1990)

      • lovecraftian@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
          On 11/4/07, edher666 <edheri@...> wrote:

          Does anyone know of any good sources on literary criticism and
          interpretations on Lovecrafts work? The format does not matter, either
          books, web, anything will do? Any info is appreciated!!

          "H. P.. Lovecraft: Four Decades of Criticism", edited by S T. Joshi is
          perhaps a bit dated now, but it's still the basic starting point in
          Lovecraft criticism. Also, see
          http://www.hplovecraft.com/study/litcrit/for a good listing of other
          basis references. That web site, "The H. P.
          Lovecraft Archive", also offers a comprehensive listing of Lovecraft
          resources online.

          Ken Hill

        • John S. Walsh
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
            --- lovecraftian@... wrote:

            > http://www.hplovecraft.com/study/litcrit/

            years, and a good jumping-off point for HPL info.

            I'm particularly interested in art inspired by HPL's
            works, but especially scholarship/criticism. I'm not
            terribly interested in non-HPL Cthulu Mythos works.
            The original was the only one with the touch, for me.

            While I've been reading fantastic fiction since I was
            a kid (I'm 42), I've only recently gotten into HPL.
            So far, I've been really enjoying it. I just read The
            Silver Key a few weeks ago, and the feeling it
            inspired remains. As with the very best dark fiction,
            it doesn't depress or bring one's spirits down, but
            inspires that sense of wonder we had when we first
            discovered fantastic fiction.

            I've got to order that Call of Cthulu DVD, which I've
            read so much about and which looks great. The same
            production company is working on another HPL
            adaptation.

            Just some random thoughts in the middle of the night
            inspired by your e-mail exchange.

            John

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Darrick Dishaw
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
              yes, that next movie is The Whisperer in Darkness. i've seen the trailer and it looks creepy as Hell. looking forward to buying that too.

              just plug "Lovecraft" into an amazon search. that should turn up some things. like Houellebeque's HPL against the world, against life.

              www.CultofCthulhu.net

              ...might help you too.

              VS

            • Norm Ishmael
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                Quote:
                "As with the very best dark fiction,
                it doesn't depress or bring one's spirits down, but
                inspires that sense of wonder we had when we first
                discovered fantastic fiction."

                That is very well put. I really consider HPL horror,and the feeling one gets from his work is very different from, say Clive Barker.(not "dissing" Clive.I loved the Books of Blood!)
                I compare it with say an eposode of "Perry Mason" that is able 40 years after it was written to hold its on with the "legal drama's" of today,without the foul speech,soft core porn ect,simply by the quality of its writing.

                .i

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
                  I did know about that one book, but have not been able to find it on
                  any library. Thanks though. I'll try looking for the other one you
                  mention. I am more interested on the Cthulhu mythos at this time.Do
                  you heve any suggestions?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2007
                    Do you know of any that relate especifically to the Cthulhu Mythos?
                    I have found the names of some books, like the one you mentioned for
                    example, but have not been able to get a hold of them on any
                    library...what about the web, do you know of any reliable site that
                    talks about the Cthulhu Mythos? I tried Cult of Cthulhu, but it is
                    of a Satanist Cult with Lovecraftian philosophies I guess.

                    --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, lovecraftian@... wrote:

                    > On 11/4/07, edher666 <edheri@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of any good sources on literary criticism and
                    > interpretations on Lovecrafts work? The format does not
                    matter, either
                    > books, web, anything will do? Any info is appreciated!!
                    >
                    > "H. P.. Lovecraft: Four Decades of Criticism", edited by S T.
                    Joshi is
                    > perhaps a bit dated now, but it's still the basic starting point in
                    > Lovecraft criticism. Also, see
                    > http://www.hplovecraft.com/study/litcrit/for a good listing of
                    other
                    > basis references. That web site, "The H. P.
                    > Lovecraft Archive", also offers a comprehensive listing of
                    Lovecraft
                    > resources online.
                    >
                    > Ken Hill

                  • darrick3909
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 13, 2007
                      yes, you could say that the Cult of Cthulhu is a Satanist Cult with
                      Lovecraftian philosophies. they are also one of the only active
                      Cthulhu Mythos religions in the world. www.CultofCthulhu.net

                      anyways, aren't you edher666? 666 is associated with Satanism.

                      don't expect to find small press HPL criticisms in the library or free
                      online.

                      Darrick
                    • starrysothoth
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                        S.T. Joshi's "An Epicure in the Terrible" collection includes a number
                        of essays by different authors giving literary criticism of Lovecraft.
                        I believe it remains one of the best out there, and more accessible
                        and varied than other scholarly works on Lovecraft.

                        -Starry
                        http://grimreviews.blogspot.com

                        --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "edher666" <edheri@...> wrote:

                        > Do you know of any that relate especifically to the Cthulhu Mythos?
                        > I have found the names of some books, like the one you mentioned for
                        > example, but have not been able to get a hold of them on any
                        > library...what about the web, do you know of any reliable site that
                        > talks about the Cthulhu Mythos? I tried Cult of Cthulhu, but it is
                        > of a Satanist Cult with Lovecraftian philosophies I guess.
                        >
                        > --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, lovecraftian@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 11/4/07, edher666 <edheri@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone know of any good sources on literary criticism and
                        > > interpretations on Lovecrafts work? The format does not
                        > matter, either
                        > > books, web, anything will do? Any info is appreciated!!
                        > >
                        > > "H. P.. Lovecraft: Four Decades of Criticism", edited by S T.
                        > Joshi is
                        > > perhaps a bit dated now, but it's still the basic starting point in
                        > > Lovecraft criticism. Also, see
                        > > http://www.hplovecraft.com/study/litcrit/for a good listing of
                        > other
                        > > basis references. That web site, "The H. P.
                        > > Lovecraft Archive", also offers a comprehensive listing of
                        > Lovecraft
                        > > resources online.
                        > >
                        > > Ken Hill

                      • Darrick Dishaw
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4 11:57 AM
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRlE22vhZWQ

                          that's a video review of Cthulhu Cult by TaR0uk.

                          and here's the third CoC video...

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7ida8eb10

                          thanks for watching,

                          VS