Re: Mythos wrote by Jorge L. Borges?

  • EricZann
    Message 1 of 2129 , Apr 1, 2000
      Yes, there is a story in The Book Of Sand, called
      There Are More Things, and it is dedicated to HPL. Sort
      of. The dedication for the story simply reads 'To the
      memory of H. P. Lovecraft'. In the Afterword to the
      stories, he expands on this a little:<br><br>"Life, which
      everyone knows is inscrutable, left me no peace until I
      perpetrated a posthumous story by H. P. Lovecraft, a writer
      whom I have always considered an unconscious parodist
      of Poe. In the end I gave in; the lamentable fruit
      is entitled 'There Are More Things'.<br><br>Not the
      world's most flattering intro!<br><br>The story itself is
      not a Mythos story as such (there is no direct
      reference to the Mythos), but does definitely have Mythos
      overtones. It's also quite good -- track it down if you can.
      (The rest of the book is also good...but then, I'm a
      fan of Borges anyway!)
    • ovidbrazil
      Message 2129 of 2129 , Mar 13, 2002
        Uholyjason,

        I completely understand your connexion to the
        Lovecraftian/Sumerian/Babylonian current of magick. I myself am a
        practitioner of Lovecraftian Magick.

        The Simon Necronomicon actually does hold authentic
        Babylonian/Sumerian references within it, but alas, that was because
        the person who wrote it (His name escapes me at the moment, but I am
        fairly sure that he was the owner of the Magickal Childe [?]
        bookstore in NYC) wrote the fake grimoire with precisely that in mind.
        At any rate, yes, the Simon Necronomicon as well as all of the other
        purported Necronomicon are indeed not legitimate grimoires as far as
        they claim themselves to be. That is, they are not the Necronomicon
        as put forth in HPL's works, but that does not make them any less
        magickally valid.

        If you have not already and would like some good resources on
        Lovecraftian magick you should visit the Old One's Sanctuary
        http://www.stormloader.com/sanctuary . Unfortunately, you cannot
        download or copy any of their texts but if you really want them I
        have a way to procure them for you.

        Regards,

        Julian