HI

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
      Hi,

      I just joined, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Rhode
      Island, so I've always enjoyed reading Lovecraft on and off. So many of
      the places and names are local.

      Twenty-odd years ago I lived in Providence for awhile, and loved
      walking around the streets - Lovecraft really captured the feeling of
      the city. Anyways I'm just rereading 'Lurker at the Threshold', and
      I'm surprised on how unsettling it still is to me.

      I'm looking forward to reading the discussions here,

      Phil
    • Darrick Dishaw
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
        hey Phil,

        saw your message. i love Lurker at the Threshold. a great story. do you have a favorite HPL story?

        not positive about this one, but most Mythos yahoogroups are deader than disco. but i still check up on them from time to time.

        VS

        www.CultofCthulhu.net

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
          Good to see there is someone out there ! I think my favorite book
          is 'The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward'. I thought it reads
          really well - I'll probably start it after 'Lurker'. Its been a year
          or so since I've read any HPL. I just finished a book about Houdini,
          and it mentioned him collaborating with HPL on fiction, which I guess
          was never finished/lost, but it made me think of Lovecraft.

          Phil

          --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, Darrick Dishaw <darrick3909@...>
          wrote:

          > hey Phil,
          >
          > saw your message. i love Lurker at the Threshold. a great story.
          do you have a favorite HPL story?

          > not positive about this one, but most Mythos yahoogroups are deader
          than disco. but i still check up on them from time to time.

          > VS
          >
          > www.CultofCthulhu.net

        • TheGoofster
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
            Hello,

            That's funny (or its synchronicity). I'm reading "Wake Up Screaming" (a
            Lovecraft anthology) and I'm halfway through the last story which happens to
            be "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward". It is very interesting and a
            good read. I think my favorite HPL story is "At the Mountains of Madness".
            Its just such an exciting adventure story. As for "horror", I still love
            "The Dunwich Horror". Too bad the movie they made had almost nothing to do
            with the story.

            Steve

            [snip]

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
              HPL did ghost write the short story, "Underneath the Pyramids" for Houdini. and it's pretty darn good. i think that's the only one though.

              yeah, CDW is good too.

              VS

            • BONA SHIELDS

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 4, 2007
                  true, The Dunwich Horror film from the 70's wasn't a totally faithful adaptation, but i still like it. have you guys seen The Haunted Palace? it stars Vincent Price, directed by Roger Corman and is an awesome version of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. i highly recommend it.

                  and At the Mountains of Madness is a great story. they might do a film of that too. similar is John Carpenter's The Thing from the mid 80's. that's a great film too.

                  hey, if you get a chance, please check out my website:

                  www.CultofCthulhu.net

                  thanks,

                  Venger As'Nas Satanis
                  Cult of Cthulhu High Priest

                • MrHaggard
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                    Welcome Phil!

                    Mrhaggard

                    --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <pan00@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I just joined, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Rhode
                    > Island, so I've always enjoyed reading Lovecraft on and off. So
                    many of
                    > the places and names are local.
                    >
                    > Twenty-odd years ago I lived in Providence for awhile, and loved
                    > walking around the streets - Lovecraft really captured the feeling
                    of
                    > the city. Anyways I'm just rereading 'Lurker at the Threshold',
                    and
                    > I'm surprised on how unsettling it still is to me.
                    >
                    > I'm looking forward to reading the discussions here,
                    >
                    > Phil

                  • MrHaggard
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                      Hmmm,

                      I think my current fav is the Shadow over Innsmouth. I'm listening
                      to a spoken word recoding of it at work.

                      Dead, dead well can we say sleeping?

                      Mrhaggard

                      wrote:

                      > hey Phil,
                      >
                      > saw your message. i love Lurker at the Threshold. a great
                      story. do you have a favorite HPL story?

                      > not positive about this one, but most Mythos yahoogroups are
                      deader than disco. but i still check up on them from time to time.

                      > VS
                      >
                      > www.CultofCthulhu.net

                    • TheGoofster
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                        Shadow is a great story. In case anyone hasn't read it yet, I won't spoiler
                        but let me say, it's another great HP Lovecraft adventure. The part where's
                        he's in the hotel room is especially scary.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                          I love HPL – his writing succeeds on so many different levels. It’s
                          terrifying of course, but he can also write things which are so poignant
                          it’s heart-breaking, and as have been mentioned here, he can do
                          adventure extremely well. I think I’ve read all his horror fiction but
                          I’m not sure on the titles - there are so many favorites: ‘Innsmouth,’
                          ‘Charles Dexter Ward,’ ‘Mountains of Madness,’ ‘Cthulu,’ ‘The Color Out
                          of Space,’ the one he did for Houdini, the one where an extremely old
                          traveler through time and space searches for his cabinet to finally
                          return home, the one where the members of a family all degenerate to
                          little more than beasts, and so many others.

                          ‘The Dreams in the Witch House’ is horrifying – I’m surprised this has
                          never become a successful horror film. I guess these days horror film
                          fans want explicit gore and not horrors that drill deep into your mind.

                          Jesse

                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                            actually, Jesse, The Dreams in the Witch-House was turned into a episode/movie for the Masters of Horror series. it's a great length, about 45 min. and very effective. directed by Stuart Gordon and staring the same guy from Dagon, Ezra Godden. i love the story too and highly recommend watching it.

                            VS

                            www.CultofCthulhu.net

                          • Jesse Segovia
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                              Masters of Horror? Tell me more. Last night I was channel surfing and
                              caught something on ABC – was that it?

                              And they also did Dagon, the one with the monster god appearing out of
                              the water at the end???

                              Jesse

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                Stuart Gordon (Reaimator, From Beyond) did a version of Dreams in the Witch House, season 1 episode 2 of Masters of Horror on Showtime. I tried to find a link to an online viewing, but not even videolimon could help

                                django

                                Jesse Segovia <jsegovia@...> wrote: I love HPL – his writing succeeds on so many different levels. It’s

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                  well, guess I was late w/ that info

                                  Darrick Dishaw <darrick3909@...> wrote: actually, Jesse, The Dreams in the Witch-House was turned into a episode/movie for the Masters of Horror series. it's a great length, about 45 min. and very effective. directed by Stuart Gordon and staring the same guy from Dagon, Ezra Godden. i love the story too and highly recommend watching it.

                                  VS

                                  www.CultofCthulhu.net

                                • Darrick Dishaw
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                    yep, Masters of Horror is on Showtime. although, that episode is on DVD. and yes, Gordon and Godden did Dagon as well.

                                    VS

                                  • dan bailey
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                      Masters of Horror is an anthology TV series that began a couple of years ago on one of the cable stations, ... Showtime, I believe. (I'm no longer hooked up for TV signals, so I've never actually seen any episodes on air.) Most of 'em have come out on DVD, which is how I saw Dreams in the Witch-House.

                                      Dagon came out around 2001 as a feature-length movie. No connection whatsoever to Masters of Horror, except for Stuart Gordon's involvement.

                                      Dan

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                        is there an echo in here?

                                        (the main character in both adaptations is played by actor Ezra Godden)

                                        VS

                                        dan bailey <dpbailey@...> wrote: Masters of Horror is an anthology TV series that began a couple of years ago on one of the cable stations, ... Showtime, I believe. (I'm no longer hooked up for TV signals, so I've never actually seen any episodes on air.) Most of 'em have come out on DVD, which is how I saw Dreams in the Witch-House.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Segovia" <jsegovia@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Masters of Horror? Tell me more. Last night I was channel surfing
                                          and
                                          > caught something on ABC – was that it?

                                          That's actually a sister series, "Masters of Science Fiction," which
                                          has apparently just come on the air and which is the work of the MoH
                                          creators. My understanding is that MoH was so well-received that the
                                          creators decided to go with MoSF as well. However, I had understood
                                          that MoSF was also to be a Showtime series, so I was completely taken
                                          by surprise when I saw it on ABC. Here's the Wikipedia entry:

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Science_Fiction

                                          My guess is that ABC simply threw more money at the guys behind the
                                          Masters series than Showtime did. That might explain why MoSF is on
                                          ABC and not Showtime. ;)
                                        • Darrick Dishaw
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            discussed in this new issue of Fate Magazine:

                                            http://www.fatemag.com/

                                            and they talk about yours truly and the Cult of Cthulhu...

                                            Venger As'Nas Satanis
                                            Cult of Cthulhu High Priest

                                          • Malcolm Johnson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                              --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <> wrote:

                                              > Hi,
                                              >
                                              > I just joined, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Rhode
                                              > Island, so I've always enjoyed reading Lovecraft on and off. So many
                                              of the places and names are local.

                                              > Twenty-odd years ago I lived in Providence for awhile, and loved
                                              > walking around the streets - Lovecraft really captured the feeling of
                                              > the city. Anyways I'm just rereading 'Lurker at the Threshold', and
                                              > I'm surprised on how unsettling it still is to me.

                                              > Phil

                                              Hi and welcome,

                                              You may not be aware of it but apart from a couple of brief passages by
                                              Lovecraft 'Lurker at the Threshold' was actually written by August
                                              Derleth. It's mentioned here in the H.P. Lovecraft Archive:

                                              http://www.hplovecraft.com/life/myths.asp#posthumous

                                              As a native of Great Britain I envy you being able to walk the streets
                                              of Providence!

                                              Merthyr Imp
                                            • Darrick Dishaw
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                                oh yeah, i was thinking of The Thing on the Doorstep. the one with Asthena Waite.

                                                never did care too much for Derleth's Mythos work.

                                                Darrick

                                              • jasbales
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > oh yeah, i was thinking of The Thing on the Doorstep. the one with
                                                  Asthena Waite.

                                                  > never did care too much for Derleth's Mythos work.
                                                  >
                                                  > Darrick

                                                  Asthena?
                                                • Todd Meister
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                    Hey everyone. It's great to see this place come to life! I've been
                                                    meaning to jump in on these new threads, but I haven't found the time to
                                                    do more than lurk in the shadows.

                                                    We received "Dreams in the Witch-House" from Netflix yesterday, but
                                                    didn't have time to watch it last night. I'm very excited to watch
                                                    this. To me, Dreams... is one of the scariest of Lovecraft's works. I
                                                    usually get more of a simultaneous sense of cosmic awe and horror from
                                                    my favorites, but "Dreams in the Witch-House" is one that keeps me in
                                                    bed until dawn if I read it before going to sleep. "The Whisperer in
                                                    the Darkness" is another that creeps me out.

                                                    I thought I'd read somewhere in this thread that the film adaptation of
                                                    "Dreams in the Witch-House" is not as good as the adaptation of "Dagon",
                                                    but I can't find that claim now. I'm hoping I mis-read, because while I
                                                    appreciated the honestly Lovecraftian approach to "Dagon", it could
                                                    definitely have used a bit more budget and better acting.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Todd
                                                  • Jake

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                        i think they are both equal. i wish Dreams was twice as long as it is... feature length, but what are you gonna do?

                                                        i thought the acting was really good in Dagon. i have a thing against CGI, so the computer animated tentacles could have been done better with live effects.

                                                        by the way, September 11th sees the first release of Stuart Gordon's From Beyond on DVD - with added gore and sexual content that had to be cut out of the original film by the MPAA.

                                                        getting back to Dreams in the Witch-House, the Dreams story is one where Lovecraft tries to relate his Mythos with superstition and folklore that already exists on earth. along with The Horror in Redhook, i consider Dreams to be one of Lovecraft's most "Satanic" stories.

                                                        VS

                                                        www.CultofCthulhu.net