Robert Anton Wilson

  • chivers_mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
      http://www.rawilson.com/main.shtml

      "Donations have poured in since friends of Bob Wilson got the word out
      that he could use some help with steep healthcare costs. Bob is
      profoundly greatful and humbled by your support (see note below). Bob
      requires 24 hour care and this kindly swarm of donations has enabled
      Bob to receive the care he (and everyone!) deserves.

      Bob is not one for the begging bowl. He would rather that fans wishing
      to help out simply buy his wares. But his friends, understanding the
      potential financial strain of Bob's needs, set up the Friends of
      Robert Anton Wilson relief fund, and your response has been
      astounding. Bob "is" presently cheerful, without pain and ceaselessly
      optimistic.

      Here's a quick history of Robert Anton Wilson's scenario. Bob has
      post-polio syndrome which has severely damaged his legs and weakened
      his body. He had a hard fall in June of this year which landed him in
      the hospital. He has since not been able to walk and is thus confined
      to his bed (overlooking beautiful Monterey Bay fnord), requiring 24
      hour care. Due to Bob's acute weakness in June and July, many of his
      family and friends felt that Bob could go at any time. He has since
      rallied slowly with up's and down's, and like most things, his
      condition seems in the maybe state. Bob has no pain, has a hearty
      appetite, is in steady good, sharp humor, is surrounded by family and
      friends, and feels he shows signs of slow recovery. Praise Bob! All
      hail Eris!"

      Funnily enough, the day after I heard about this, I picked up a copy
      of the Illuminatus Trilogy cheap in a secondhand store - so I made a
      donation as I felt I owed the guy something. Only a small amount -
      but if every person to whom he has given enjoyment and enlightenment
      through his work did the same, he'd soon pay off his medical bills and
      be an extremely rich man to boot. What an unjust world when a topless
      model like Jordan can boast of being worth close to a billion pounds.
      (Rant ends here, I promise...) I hope I'm right in thinking some
      Lovecraftians might be interested (including, of course, our Chaos
      Magick brethren).
    • lovecraftian@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
        Robert Anton Wilson is probably the only contemporary writer who has used the Cthulhu Mythos in a genuinely creative and cosmic way. Both the ILLUMINATUS! and the SCHRODINGER'S CAT series contain many allusions to Lovecraft. Wilson's psychedelic mysticism is very far philosophically from Lovecraft's mechanistic materialism and cosmic nihilism, but somehow Wilson seems to have understood Lovecraft well and always takes him seriously.

        Ken Hill