Re: Looking for the "Index To The Selected Letters Of"

  • Malcolm Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Lord" wrote:
      > Does anyone know if this is still in print? Couldn't find it on the
      > Necro Press site... Does anyone have a spare copy to sell? Gavin?
      >
      > Bruce.

      You could keep checking on Ebay. Copies come up for sale very
      occasionally. Two copies appeared in quick succession about two to
      three months ago. I paid £9.46 (about $17.10) for one of them, but
      that's including transatlantic postage.

      Merthyr Imp
    • Bruce Lord
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
        Thanks for the tips, guys. I've got it on my eBay wathch list, and
        I'll keep checking the other sites.

        Gavin: C'mon, gimme a break! I was eleven the last time the book was
        published. ;)

        While I've picked up a couple of the collected correspondence books
        (the Loveman/Starrett from Necro Press and Willis Conover's "Lovecraft
        At Last") and will continue to do so, I've found the SLs to be
        invaluable. So much HPL criticism and secondary writing uses them as
        a source that I enjoy being able to read the full context of a certain
        passage that's being quoted.

        I've finally started to read through the volumes in order, rather than
        just using them as reference. I've already found a letter that would
        have proved invaluable while writing my honours paper (I'll likely
        have to revise it). While it's a bit more scattered than a
        streamlined biography or "Lord Of A Visible World", it's interesting
        to read firsthand the development and shifting of HPL's interests,
        themes, and beliefs, not to mention the formation of his
        correspondences and friendships. I guess the single correspondent
        collections are more linear and "readable" in that sense, but life
        ain't always linear or streamlined.

        I was able to get all five volumes for about $125 on eBay, all in
        great shape. I'd call that a bargain. ;)

        Bruce.
      • Amelia Dante

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
            Bruce pleads youth as extenuating factor: C'mon, gimme a break! I was
            eleven the last time the book was published.

            Point taken, the defendant's youth will be taken into consideration.

            The Selected Letters are indeed an important resource, but there are some
            flaws you need to be aware of. Derleth and Wandrei had an agenda when they
            prepared those volumes and it differs from that of Joshi and Schultz in
            important ways. The Arkham letters are edited for content and the editors
            made their cuts to insure that the HPL that emerged from this selection was
            cleaned up and polished for presentation. Important issues like
            objectionable passages (for content of racial slurs for example) beg for
            greater objectivity than this.

            What I suspect is that too much is appearing all in a rush and people are
            deluged with important new resources that threaten to bust the budget of a
            small country if one bought up everything. So lots of people are very quick
            to dismiss new material as "unnecessary". I don't know about you, maybe a
            few Lovecraft story paperbacks are all you require (please don't take this
            personally, it's just rhetoric), but I long to have the complete writings of
            H.P. Lovecraft, and the Collected Essays from Hippocampus and the various
            letters collections are big, vital parts of that project.

            Gavin

            bookstore website
            www.gavinicussbooks.com

            join my yahoo group
            gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com

            From: "Bruce Lord" <bclord@...>
            To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [HP Lovecraft] Re: Looking for the "Index To The Selected Letters
            Of"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
              Dear Amelia,

              Are you suggesting a real-time texted conference, like with MSN Messenger?
              I have heard that these Yahoo groups have sucha feature available, but in
              all the years I have been involved in the groups I have never used it or
              seen it used. If you can figure out how to do it, I'd be pleased to join
              in. The trouble is, getting people together at the same time. A posting
              group, like this one, seems to thrive when people can take their own time,
              prepare their responses, plan their strategy, and then leave it up for
              others to read at their own leisure. The Chat scenario is nowhere near as
              useful for expression. That's just an opinion. But I'm game if you can
              figure it out!

              Gavin
              .

              From: Amelia Dante <amelia_kathryn@...>
              To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [HP Lovecraft] Re: Looking for the "Index To The Selected
              Letters Of"
              Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:59:23 +0100 (BST)

              hi any chance of chatting to you guys
            • T. R. Livesey
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
                There is no doubt that 'agenda' played a hand in how material was
                abridged. Given the quantity of racial and religious prejudice that
                remains, however, I think the major driving force in cutting was the
                need to condense 900+ entries into a mere 5 volumes. SL is the one
                project that probably never would have happened without Derleth; many of
                Lovecraft's letters no longer exist, except in the Arkham House transcripts.

                I agree entirely that the new material can hardly be dismissed as
                'unnecessary'; I only refute that the old material is in any way obsolete.

                TRL

              • Gavin Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
                  T.R. sums up: I only refute that the old material is in any way obsolete.

                  I'm sorry if I gave out that impression, that the Selected Letters were
                  obsolete. If I could so persuade you, please put that mistaken impression
                  down to my charming and likable tendency to exagerate. No Lovecraft letters
                  are obsolete (but then, since the Arkham set lacks a built-in index, we
                  might agree that it could be more user-friendly). I was merely setting up
                  the imaginary instance of comparing whether, if one had the Arkham Selected
                  Letters, any further books of letters would be superfluous. So, we are in
                  no disagreement at all. Gosh, for a guy who tries to be as precise as I try
                  to be, I sure do leave a lot of room for misunderstanding!

                  Another point of comparison in favor of the Derleth/Wandrei letters, is that
                  they cover the entire span of Lovecraft's life, and the Joshi/Schultz
                  letters project is far from equalling that statement.
                • T. R. Livesey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Nah, you didn't give that impression - I was just being over zealous
                    about plugging the value of SL.

                    TRL