de Camp bio question

  • Bruce Lord
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      About eight years ago, before I started reading HPL, I saw a copy of
      the de Camp biography that seemed to have just come out (or at least
      was still in print). It was a trade paperback (as opposed to the
      pocketbook-sized edition with the blue trim that I see floating around
      on eBay) with the cover almost entirely covered by a close-up portrait
      of HPL. Does anyone know if any of the editions of the de Camp book
      vary to any real degree, or am I fine just having one of the cheap ones?

      Thanks,

      Bruce.
    • Gavin Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        Why you would want any of them is beyond me, but I seem to recall that the
        bio was abridged somewhat when the first mass market paperback was released,
        with the green cover. I know nothing about subsequent printings, and doubt
        if I ever saw a trade paperback. I have the first editon from Doubleday
        which has a white dj. You have the Joshi bio, surely? (Just in case, I
        have the current NecroPress reprint in stock right here at hand, so I can
        shoot you a copy if you care for one.)

        I think the problem with De Camp and his biographies is in the haughty and
        aloof, even disapproving attitude he takes towards Lovecraft and Robert E.
        Howard as well. Condescending, that's the word I'm looking for. This
        distorts the impression available to be gleaned from reading them. Joshi's
        bio, if nothing else (and there's plenty else, believe me), is written from
        the perspective of admiration.

        bookstore website
        www.gavinicussbooks.com

        join my yahoo group
        gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          Thanks for the info, Gavin. I just ordered a copy of the new Joshi
          reprint (had to make to with "A Dreamer And A Visionary" up until now)
          from Necro. Don't worry about me taking the de Camp bio too
          seriously; I more or less just want it for the sake of completion and
          for occasional reference. I did find a couple of interesting points
          in it, though (I mean that literally, I think I took down only two or
          three notes while reading it).

          While I think de Camp's intentions were good, his apparant lack of
          substantial interest in HPL's fiction confused me. I obviously didn't
          start reading a biography thinking I'd get straight-up literary
          criticism, but I was puzzled as to why de Camp undertook the project
          in the first place; he just didn't seem to be interested in his
          subject and as such felt the need to make overreaching and personal
          jabs. Reading "A Dreamer And A Visionary" I was happy to see that
          while Joshi obviously has great respect and admiration for HPL, he
          didn't turn the project into a hagiography, either, and generally
          dealt with his subect in as fair and impartial a manner as could be hoped.

          Bruce.

          --- In hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Smith" <gavinicuss@h...> wrote:
          > Why you would want any of them is beyond me, but I seem to recall
          that the
          > bio was abridged somewhat when the first mass market paperback was
          released,
          > with the green cover. I know nothing about subsequent printings,
          and doubt
          > if I ever saw a trade paperback. I have the first editon from
          Doubleday
          > which has a white dj. You have the Joshi bio, surely? (Just in
          case, I
          > have the current NecroPress reprint in stock right here at hand, so
          I can
          > shoot you a copy if you care for one.)
          >
          > I think the problem with De Camp and his biographies is in the
          haughty and
          > aloof, even disapproving attitude he takes towards Lovecraft and
          Robert E.
          > Howard as well. Condescending, that's the word I'm looking for. This
          > distorts the impression available to be gleaned from reading them.
          Joshi's
          > bio, if nothing else (and there's plenty else, believe me), is
          written from
          > the perspective of admiration.
          >

          > bookstore website
          > www.gavinicussbooks.com
          >
          > join my yahoo group
          > gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > From: "Bruce Lord" <bclord@s...>
          > To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [HP Lovecraft] de Camp bio question
          > Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:28:42 -0000
          >

          > About eight years ago, before I started reading HPL, I saw a copy of
          > the de Camp biography that seemed to have just come out (or at least
          > was still in print). It was a trade paperback (as opposed to the
          > pocketbook-sized edition with the blue trim that I see floating around
          > on eBay) with the cover almost entirely covered by a close-up portrait
          > of HPL. Does anyone know if any of the editions of the de Camp book
          > vary to any real degree, or am I fine just having one of the cheap ones?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bruce.
        • Gavin Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            You know, Bruce, you may have just the very right attitude. Spot on! No
            real harm in having the De Camp book, since it exists. I will therefore
            characterize my words as my inability to restrain myself from De Camp
            bashing whenever the opportunity arrises, since I have had such a long and
            fulfilling experience of it. In Howard circles, the Spraguester is
            something like Guy Falkes, the subject of ritualized derision. There's
            immortality for you!

            From: "Bruce Lord" <bclord@...>
            To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [HP Lovecraft] de Camp bio question
            Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:00:59 -0000

> [...]

            written from
            > the perspective of admiration.
            >

            > bookstore website
            > www.gavinicussbooks.com
            >
            > join my yahoo group
            > gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > From: "Bruce Lord" <bclord@s...>
            > To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [HP Lovecraft] de Camp bio question
            > Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:28:42 -0000
            >

            > About eight years ago, before I started reading HPL, I saw a copy of
            > the de Camp biography that seemed to have just come out (or at least
            > was still in print). It was a trade paperback (as opposed to the
            > pocketbook-sized edition with the blue trim that I see floating around
            > on eBay) with the cover almost entirely covered by a close-up portrait
            > of HPL. Does anyone know if any of the editions of the de Camp book
            > vary to any real degree, or am I fine just having one of the cheap ones?

          • AzOtEp.'.I>0<I.'.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
              Litsen to "Azathoth venom" by"Not breathing vs.Dead voices on air"on the Sonic envelope y2play at Sonicenvelope.com/webradio/y2play its bad ass.Ive done one with a similar vibe to it.

            • AzOtEp.'.I>0<I.'.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
                Az must of ate this link,here try it again www.sonicenvelope.com/webradio/y2play/ I found a shit load of lovecraftian music.Ill track em all down and post em soon...

                "AzOtEp.'.I>0<I.'." <azinazoth@...> wrote:Litsen to "Azathoth venom" by"Not breathing vs.Dead voices on air"on the Sonic envelope y2play at Sonicenvelope.com/webradio/y2play its bad ass.Ive done one with a similar vibe to it.