Re: [HP Lovecraft] Recommended Lovecraft

  • Taylor401306@cs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 6:39 AM
      In a message dated 4/1/2004 5:14:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com writes:
      > Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:52:31 +0800
      > From: "Andrew Albert J. Ty" <andrewty@...>
      > Subject: RE: Recommended Lovecraft
      >
      > While we're on this topic, here's a question I'd like to throw to people. A
      > significant portion of Lovecraft's writings were collaborations with other
      > writers like C.M. Eddy, Hazel Heald, and the curiously-named Elizabeth
      > Berkley, to name three. How "essential" are these writings to you more avid
      > Lovecraft readers?
      >
      > Andrew
      > http://www.livejournal.com/users/eldritch00
      I wouldn't call them that essential. Lovecraft basically made a living by
      taking these other people's stories & trying to pep them up. The ideas were not
      Lovecraft's originally so I don't consider them "Essential Lovecraft".

    • Andrew Albert J. Ty
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 11:25 AM
        Thanks for the response. To throw yet another spanner in the works, how much
        of these ideas were "Lovecraftized" in the collaboration process? Has anyone
        read the solo writings of those people?

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 1:30 PM
          Aren't you afraid we will spoil all your reading fun for you, you cheeky
          little brain-picker, you? The people who hired Lovecraft to punch up their
          little tales were mostly little nobodies, with the exception of DeCastro,
          who was a smarmy bigger nobody who even dragged Ambrose Bierce's reputation
          into the hazard.

          bookstore website: http://www.gavinicussbooks.com

          subscribe to my yahoogroup:
          gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com

          I wouldn't call them that essential. Lovecraft basically made a living by
          taking these other people's stories & trying to pep them up. The ideas were
          not
          Lovecraft's originally so I don't consider them "Essential Lovecraft".

        • Someone from the Petting Zoo
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 1:41 PM
            Gavin Smith writes "...DeCastro, who was a smarmy bigger nobody who even dragged Ambrose Bierce's reputation into the hazard."

            Would now be a good time to mention that Adolph Decastro is my quite beloved grand uncle?

            AF monkey,

            Edward
          • lovecraftian@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 1:55 PM
              There was Harry Houdini, not that "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" is that much of a read.

              > From: "Gavin Smith" <gavinicuss@...>
              > Date: 2004/04/01 Thu PM 04:30:59 EST
              > To: hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [HP Lovecraft] Recommended Lovecraft
              >
              > Aren't you afraid we will spoil all your reading fun for you, you cheeky
              > little brain-picker, you? The people who hired Lovecraft to punch up their
              > little tales were mostly little nobodies, with the exception of DeCastro,
              > who was a smarmy bigger nobody who even dragged Ambrose Bierce's reputation
              > into the hazard.
              >

              > bookstore website: http://www.gavinicussbooks.com
              >
              > subscribe to my yahoogroup:
              > gavinicussbooks@yahoogroups.com
              >

              > From: "Andrew Albert J. Ty" <andrewty@...>
              > To: <hplovecraft@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: RE: [HP Lovecraft] Recommended Lovecraft
              > Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 03:25:06 +0800
              >
              > Thanks for the response. To throw yet another spanner in the works, how much
              > of these ideas were "Lovecraftized" in the collaboration process? Has anyone
              > read the solo writings of those people?
              >
              > Andrew
              > http://www.livejournal.com/users/eldritch00

            • Gavin Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 5:24 PM
                Edward, I refuse to do my about face before you absolutely swear that you
                are not kidding.

                But be fair, he was something of a rascal, regardless.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1 6:16 PM
                  Gavin writes "Edward, I refuse to do my about face before you absolutely
                  swear that you are not kidding."

                  1. Why would you change your opinion?
                  2. What date is it again?
                  3. Yes, he was quite a rascal.