Re: New HPL book

  • DonovanLoucks
    Message 1 of 2129 , Aug 1, 1999
      James George White Russell wrote: "Just wondered
      if any members have come across a book called "The
      Fantastic Worlds of HP Lovecraft" at all... I discovered it
      two days ago and have been enjoying it since
      then."<br><br>When I first heard of this book I was eager to get my
      hands on it. Then I discovered that it was by James Van
      Hise, who has been knocking out atrocious
      self-published Star Trek books for ages. Recently, I read the
      following brief review in the latest issue of _The New
      Lovecraft Collector_:<br><br>"_The Fantastic Worlds of H.P.
      Lovecraft_ is an anthology of Lovecraft criticism edited and
      published by James Van Hise. Unfortunately, its selections
      leave a great deal to be desired, and the volume cannot
      be recommended to devoted Lovecraftians. Van Hise is
      to be criticised for including Will Murray's
      outmoded 'Arkham Country' articles, whose theories were
      demolished in a substantial article by Robert D. Marten in a
      recent issue of _Lovecraft Studies_; Murray's original
      contribution to the volume, a long article on Lovecraft's
      minimal revision of E. Hoffmann Price's story 'Tarbis of
      the Lake', takes a long time in saying little. While
      some worthy articles by Donald R. Burleson, Rusty
      Burke, S.T. Joshi, and others are included, much
      ephemeral or mediocre work also finds its way into the
      book, and such leading scholars as David E. Schultz and
      Steven J. Mariconda are not represented. On the whole,
      the volume must be considered a serious
      disappointment."<br><br>Nonetheless, since I've not actually seen the book myself, I
      can't really comment on it. If I could actually peruse
      a copy, I might very well come to the same
      conclusions. But since I may never have that opportunity, I
      may resort to purchasing a copy, in spite of the fact
      that the above comments may be perfectly
      true...<br><br>By the way, I think I mentioned that I'd finished
      "20th Century Gothic" but haven't yet had a chance to
      critique it. There are a few grammatical errors and typos
      that I noticed, along with a few errors of fact, but I
      was mostly impressed at the accomplishment. It's a
      remarkably thorough work!<br><br>Donovan K.
      Loucks<br>Webmaster<br>The H.P. Lovecraft
    • ovidbrazil
      Message 2129 of 2129 , Mar 13, 2002
        Uholyjason,

        I completely understand your connexion to the
        Lovecraftian/Sumerian/Babylonian current of magick. I myself am a
        practitioner of Lovecraftian Magick.

        The Simon Necronomicon actually does hold authentic
        Babylonian/Sumerian references within it, but alas, that was because
        the person who wrote it (His name escapes me at the moment, but I am
        fairly sure that he was the owner of the Magickal Childe [?]
        bookstore in NYC) wrote the fake grimoire with precisely that in mind.
        At any rate, yes, the Simon Necronomicon as well as all of the other
        purported Necronomicon are indeed not legitimate grimoires as far as
        they claim themselves to be. That is, they are not the Necronomicon
        as put forth in HPL's works, but that does not make them any less
        magickally valid.

        If you have not already and would like some good resources on
        Lovecraftian magick you should visit the Old One's Sanctuary
        http://www.stormloader.com/sanctuary . Unfortunately, you cannot
        download or copy any of their texts but if you really want them I
        have a way to procure them for you.

        Regards,

        Julian