OT: Transistor identification/datasheet

  • jayw_comark
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
      Hi all,

      Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
      The service manual lists it as:
      TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)

      It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at all on the device.

      Thanks.

      Jay
    • Craig Sawyers
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
        > Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
        > The service manual lists it as:
        > TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)
        >
        > It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at all
        on the
        > device.

        Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used this
        approach.

        Craig
      • Glenn Little WB4UIV
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
          Try contacting Keithley.

          It may be a special part.

          It appears to be used in a number of their instruments.

          73
          Glenn

          At 08:34 AM 11/26/2011, you wrote:
          >Hi all,
          >
          >Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
          >The service manual lists it as:
          >TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)
          >
          >It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at
          >all on the device.
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >Jay

        • J. Forster
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
            If you look at the part number, the 132 is the core of it, so perhaps that
            is just Keithley's shorthand for the full parrt number.

            Try Googling for a J132 or SNJ132, or call Keithley for a cross.

            FWIW,

            -John

            ===============

            >> Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
            The service manual lists it as:
            >> TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)
            >> It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at
            all
            > on the
            >> device.
            >
            > Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used this
            approach.

            > Craig

          • doug
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 26, 2011
              On 11/26/2011 09:22 AM, Craig Sawyers wrote:

              > > Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
              > > The service manual lists it as:
              > > TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)
              > >
              > > It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at all
              > on the
              > > device.
              >
              > Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used this
              > approach.
              >
              > Craig

              This approach has been used by various companies for one or both of two
              reasons:
              1. To control the specifications of the device more tightly than the
              generic product--e.g., hFe, Zener voltage, etc.
              2. To make it difficult for a competitor to copy a circuit. Especially
              when no schematic is provided to the purchaser.

              In a third case, some devices have been qpl'd--that is, they have been
              qualified to military specifications.
              In this case, a unique part number is assigned. This is just a
              variation on the first case, above.

              Having worked in both kinds of environments, I have encountered both
              situations. Interestingly, in the 60s and
              early 70s, it was difficult or impossible to get a single-source part
              qpl'd. Apparently when it became obvious
              that only a single vendor might be able to produce a part with a truly
              unique characteristic--extremely low
              noise figure at some microwave frequency, for example--this policy was
              relaxed.

              Nowadays, much military hardware is built with OTS (off the shelf)
              components, after countless Congressional
              hearings on $300 ashtrays and $600 hammers! Probably only NASA
              space-qualified hardware is still subject
              to the strict controls that used to be applied to all military components.

              --doug

            • jayw_comark
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 27, 2011
                Thanks John, and everyone else who gave advice. I don't think it's a Keithley part number, as they list the Keithley part # as TG-294.
                J132 and SNJ132 yields nothing as well. It's rather rare for Keithley to use parts marked with their own part numbers excluding transformers and the like, that's one of the reasons why I like working on Keithley stuff. I'd order the part from them, but they have a $150 minimum. (BTW, anyone notice that Agilent now has a $50 minimum order for parts?)

                I'll try contacting Keithley and see if they'll give me some information.

                Jay

                --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, "J. Forster" <jfor@...> wrote:

                > If you look at the part number, the 132 is the core of it, so perhaps that
                > is just Keithley's shorthand for the full parrt number.
                >
                > Try Googling for a J132 or SNJ132, or call Keithley for a cross.
                >
                > FWIW,
                >
                > -John
                >
                > ===============
                >

                > >> Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.
                > The service manual lists it as:
                > >> TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)
                > >> It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at
                > all
                > > on the
                > >> device.
                > >
                > > Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used this
                > approach.
                > >
                > > Craig

              • Chris Moore
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 27, 2011
                  Hi,

                  A quick search through my references says the 132 top marking is a DTA123JUA. It could be something else though.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 27, 2011
                    I also came up with BSS123.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 27, 2011
                      It's a long shot, but it might be a very old Crystalonics P/N.

                      FWIW,

                      -John

                      ===========

                      > Thanks John, and everyone else who gave advice. I don't think it's a
                      > Keithley part number, as they list the Keithley part # as TG-294.
                      > J132 and SNJ132 yields nothing as well. It's rather rare for Keithley to
                      > use parts marked with their own part numbers excluding transformers and
                      > the like, that's one of the reasons why I like working on Keithley stuff.
                      > I'd order the part from them, but they have a $150 minimum. (BTW, anyone
                      > notice that Agilent now has a $50 minimum order for parts?)
                      >
                      > I'll try contacting Keithley and see if they'll give me some information.
                      >
                      > Jay
                      >
                      > --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, "J. Forster" <jfor@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> If you look at the part number, the 132 is the core of it, so perhaps
                      >> that
                      >> is just Keithley's shorthand for the full parrt number.
                      >>
                      >> Try Googling for a J132 or SNJ132, or call Keithley for a cross.
                      >>
                      >> FWIW,
                      >>
                      >> -John
                      >>
                      >> ===============

                      >> The service manual lists it as:
                      >> all
                      >> > on the
                      >> >
                      >> > Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used
                      >> this
                      >> approach.
                      >> >
                      >> > Craig

                    • jayw_comark
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 28, 2011
                        According to the datasheet, a BSS123 would be marked "SA". The other device you mentioned can't be it as it's a PNP with built in resistors.

                        Thanks though.

                        Jay

                        --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <chris2phermoore@...> wrote:

                        > I also came up with BSS123.

                      • Chris Moore
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 28, 2011
                          Yeah it wouldn't be that anyway because I got the numbers mixed up. I punched in 123 instead of 132.

                          According to the datasheet, a BSS123 would be marked "SA". The other device you mentioned can't be it as it's a PNP with built in resistors.

                          Thanks though.

                          Jay

                          --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <chris2phermoore@...> wrote:

                          > I also came up with BSS123.

                          > --- On Sat, 11/26/11, Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...> wrote:

                          > From: Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

                          > Subject: RE: [hp_agilent_equipment] OT: Transistor identification/datasheet

                          > To: hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com

                          > Date: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 2:22 PM

                          > > Looking for a datasheet or any info on a FET used in a Keithley 2000.

                          > > The service manual lists it as:

                          > > TRANS, N CHANNEL JFET, SNJ132199(SOT-23)

                          > > It is marked with three digits "132". Can't seem to find any data at all

                          > on the

                          > > device.

                          > Could be a Keithley part number. In Tektronix gear they often used this

                          > approach.

                          > Craig

                        • jayw_comark
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 28, 2011
                            Hi John,

                            Didn't find anything there that was close on their website.

                            I got a quote from Keithley for $2. But there is a $150 minimum.
                            She stated that they *are* made to Keithley specification.
                            When I asked about a standard JEDEC device, I got this reply:

                            "I also show that we purchased these (which were not made to KI spec)
                            Interfet SJN132280
                            Fairchild Semiconductor 5149B51374A
                            Fairchild Semiconductor 5149_NB51374B"

                            Although I get a few Google hits, I was unable to find any datasheets or stock on any of them. *sigh*

                            The Fairchild numbers don't even look right to me...

                            Thanks.

                            Jay

                            --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, "J. Forster" <jfor@...> wrote:

                            > It's a long shot, but it might be a very old Crystalonics P/N.
                            >
                            > FWIW,
                            >
                            > -John
                            >
                            > ===========
                            >

                            > > Thanks John, and everyone else who gave advice. I don't think it's a
                            > > Keithley part number, as they list the Keithley part # as TG-294.
                            > > J132 and SNJ132 yields nothing as well. It's rather rare for Keithley to
                            > > use parts marked with their own part numbers excluding transformers and
                            > > the like, that's one of the reasons why I like working on Keithley stuff.
                            > > I'd order the part from them, but they have a $150 minimum. (BTW, anyone
                            > > notice that Agilent now has a $50 minimum order for parts?)
                            > >
                            > > I'll try contacting Keithley and see if they'll give me some information.
                            > >
                            > > Jay
                            > >
                            > > --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, "J. Forster" <jfor@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> If you look at the part number, the 132 is the core of it, so perhaps
                            > >> that
                            > >> is just Keithley's shorthand for the full parrt number.
                            > >>
                            > >> Try Googling for a J132 or SNJ132, or call Keithley for a cross.
                            > >>
                            > >> FWIW,
                            > >>
                            > >> -John
                            > >>
                            > >> ===============

                            > >> The service manual lists it as:
                            > >> all

                            > >> this
                            > >> approach.

                          • J. Forster
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 28, 2011
                              Contact (preferably by 'phone) Interfet and Fairchild and ask for their
                              distributer name, or a sample, or a cross to a JEDEC number.

                              -John

                              ==========

                            • br4av01
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 29, 2011
                                Instead of tracking down the exact part reference, let's have a look at the circuit to see what the device does. Is the device open, shorted...etc.

                                -br4
                              • br4av01
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 29, 2011
                                  N-channel JFET's in general are known to have wide variations in spec from device to device even from the same manufacturer and made on the same run. Most JFET circuits account for those variations by using 2 of them in one package, keeping the gain controlled by feedback, etc. Why not try a couple of generic parts rated at your working voltages? If the manufacturer sells it for $2.00, they most likely paid 10 cents for it. The spells generic to me.

                                  -br4
                                • jayw_comark
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 30, 2011
                                    Hello,

                                    I don't have the schematics for the Keithley 2000, and AFAIK, Keithley has never released them to the public (I'd pay top dollar for them if anyone knows of a source). The symptoms are that when first turned on, DC voltages read low on all ranges. 10VDC reads about 9.7VDC. After several minutes, it reads accurately using a DC calibrator and there are no other problems. Using some freeze spray I localized the fault to Q105 - the FET in question. A quick blast of freeze spray on Q105 will drop the readings from 10VDC back to 9.7VDC.
                                    At that point as the part warms up again, it slowly climbs back up to the expected 10VDC. My belief is that when Q105 is cold the Rds(on) is higher than specification for the device.

                                    Thanks for your input.

                                    Jay

                                    --- In hp_agilent_equipment@yahoogroups.com, "br4av01" <br4av01@...> wrote:

                                    > Instead of tracking down the exact part reference, let's have a look at the circuit to see what the device does. Is the device open, shorted...etc.
                                    >
                                    > -br4

                                  • br4av01
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 3, 2011
                                      Just because a part is temperature sensitive does not mean it is faulty. Any chance you have a curve tracer available? Does the junction check OK in both directions, or show leakage in the reverse direction?

                                      I'd try a couple of generic jfets and see if they 1) work 2) exhibit the same fluctuation with temperature, 3) if the circuit is extremely gain sensitive with different jfet's, etc. If the unit seems to depend upon this one part for accuracy, my guess is that there is a calibration procedure to compensate for individual part tolerances.

                                      At least you will know a lot more about whether this part is your culprit.

                                      -br4