Re: hcea board candidate forum - 11 jan 2000

  • Diana Talabac
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
      At 01:46 PM 01/01/2000 -0800, you wrote:
      >From: Allen Dyer <aldyer@...>

      >The Howard County Education Association is
      >planning a forum for all candidates for the Howard
      >County Board of Education at its January 11, 2000
      >Rep Council meeting...

      For clarification in publicizing this meeting, is it open to the public?

      --Diana
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
        HOWARD COUNTY EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
        Joe Staub, President
        Ann DeLacy, Vice President
        Mary Crotts, Treasurer
        Estelle King, Secretary

        Dorsey Hall Professional Park
        5080 Dorsey Hall Drive
        Ellicott City, MD 21042
        Telephone 410 997-3440
        FaX 410 997-3443

        December 28, 1999

        Mr. Allen Dyer
        13340 Hunt Ridge
        Ellicott City, MD 21042

        Dear Mr. Dyer,

        The Howard County Education Association is
        planning a forum for all candidates for the Howard
        County Board of Education at its January 11, 2000
        Rep Council meeting. HCEA represents 3,500
        teachers, administrators and educational support
        personnel who are interested in learning about the
        candidates for the upcoming primary election. The
        HCEA Rep Council includes delegates from each of
        the county's elementary, middle and high schools.
        The forum will be held in the cafeteria/auditorium
        at Burleigh Manor Middle School beginning at 5 pm
        on Tuesday January 11.

        The format for the presentation is dictated by the
        large number of candidates. Each individual will
        be given three minutes to describe his/her
        qualifications and reasons for running for the
        School Board. Time will not permit questions from
        the audience, so we will request that your
        comments include your position on the following
        issues:

        1. The growing national teacher shortage has
        made attracting and retaining qualified candidates
        an immediate concern. Starting pay for teachers
        in Howard County currently ranks 10th in Maryland
        at the Bachelors level and 17th with a Masters
        Degree. After ten years, teachers with a Masters
        Degree are almost $10,000 below those in
        Montgomery County. As a member of the Board of
        Education, what steps would you recommend to make
        Howard County more competitive in attracting the
        best new teachers and retaining qualified,
        experienced teachers?

        2. A bill has been introduced in the Howard
        County State legislative delegation which would
        permit the negotiation of a "Fair Share
        Representation" agreement between the School Board
        and HCEA. A fact sheet about this bill is
        included for your information. Basically, if
        approved, the bill would permit the negotiation of
        a fee to be paid by teachers who are not HCEA
        members, for the services provided by the
        Association in negotiating contract and salary
        provisions. As a School Board member, would you
        vote to accept such an agreement with HCEA? Please
        explain your position.

        In addition to your experience and qualifications
        and comments on these two issues, you may wish to
        share your insights into the current controversy
        regarding older and newer schools, the selection of
        a new Superintendent, State testing, school
        discipline, or the class size reduction initiative.

        We anticipate 60 to 80 school Representatives at
        the meeting, you may bring printed materials for
        distribution.

        In recent School Board elections, HCEA has taken no
        formal position of recommending candidates to our
        members, but we believe that the planned forum
        before the Rep Council will enable them to provide
        support for individual candidates at their
        respective schools. Teachers, administrators and
        support personnel throughout the County are very
        interested in the upcoming election and on their
        behalf we hope that you will be able to attend the
        Forum on January 11, 2000.

        To enable us to make preparations for the meeting,
        please contact my office at 410 997-3440 to confirm
        your availability for the session. Also, please
        feel free to contact me if you have any questions
        prior to the session or if you need directions to
        Burleigh Manor Middle School.

        Sincerely,
        Joseph R. Staub, Jr.