Re: GIANT idea

  • joan_pontius@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- In howardpubliced@y..., Steve-Jen Swanhart <sjswanhart@j...>
      wrote:
      > Joan, the point is if they even sign up for the program they spend
      less
      > total dollars !

      Um, but that was precisely my point to begin with.

      > when you become dictator you can force private groups to gave to
      charity
      > as YOU see fit, oh that sounds like taxes!!!!!

      ??I don't want to be a dictator, I just thought I'd
      point out an opportunity for our affluent schools,
      which wouldn't even miss the amount they're getting,
      to perhaps make a difference in a school where that
      amount would make a difference.

      *IRONY MODE ON*
      But of course, I wouldn't expect that I could
      suggest to anyone connected with religious schools
      a way to be charitable.
    • Jason Tripp
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
        I happen to have designated Bryant Woods several months ago, and I have spent
        far more than $500 at Giant since then. I've sent an email to Giant to inquire
        about the situation, but I have a feeling there's something wrong. Thanks for
        pointing this out.

        Jason Tripp

        P.S. Give some credit to Oakland Mills High School. Almost $3/student!

        Debbie Mangus wrote:

        > You! But look at schools like Bryant Woods that has collected a little
        > more than $500 compared to schools like Clarksville that has earned
        > $1,332.75. Both of these are Howard County public schools, not home
        > schools. I'm not saying that anyone should change the school to which
        > they donate their "bonus Bucks", but, if they want to do that, look in
        > your own back yard before looking elsewhere. These schools that are
        > "focus schools" have lots of low income parents who can't afford to shop
        > at Safeway and Giant. My son attends Bryant Woods and I see lots of the
        > Bryant Woods parents shopping at Metro and the "cheaper" stores in the
        > county.
        >
        > Just an interesting sideline: If you look at the amount earned for St
        > Louis Catholic School in Clarksville, it's $2,332.75. I am the SHARE
        > coordinator for St Louis Church and have been told by many of the day
        > school student's parents that they purchase their groceries at the Giant
        > because they get a cut on their tuition if their "bonus bucks" points
        > are over a certain amount.
        >
        > Deb
        >
        > joan_pontius@... wrote:
        > >
        > > True, but be sure to look also at the total number of
        > > students. I looked up one 'school' with a low amount, and
        > > it was a home school with the total number of
        > > students being 2!
        > >
        > > --- In howardpubliced@y..., Debbie Mangus <DMANGUS@A...> wrote:
        > > > If you look, there are also a number of Howard County Schools that
        > > have
        > > > real low amounts. Maybe some of the more affluent Howard County
        > > schools
        > > > could send some of the money to the less affluent schools in Howard
        > > > County.

        > > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
        > > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
        > > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
        > > an e-mail to:
        > > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
        >

        > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
        > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
        > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
        > an e-mail to:
        > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
      • Steve-Jen Swanhart
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
          I'm sorry socailist double speak does not compute in my brain!
          I think Giant only cares how much money you spent and they dont care what
          percentage of your income it is!
          On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:25:28 -0000 joan_pontius@... writes:
          > --- In howardpubliced@y..., Steve-Jen Swanhart <sjswanhart@j...>
          > wrote:
          > > Joan, the point is if they even sign up for the program they spend
          > less
          > > total dollars !
          >

          > Um, but that was precisely my point to begin with.
          >

          > > when you become dictator you can force private groups to gave to
          > charity
          > > as YOU see fit, oh that sounds like taxes!!!!!
          >

          > ??I don't want to be a dictator, I just thought I'd
          > point out an opportunity for our affluent schools,
          > which wouldn't even miss the amount they're getting,
          > to perhaps make a difference in a school where that
          > amount would make a difference.
          >
          > *IRONY MODE ON*
          > But of course, I wouldn't expect that I could
          > suggest to anyone connected with religious schools
          > a way to be charitable.

          > an e-mail to:
          > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Jason Tripp
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
            Arrrghh!

            Okay, stupid post on my part. Obviously the amount the goes to the school does
            not equal the amount that everyone has spent.

            Still, I was a little surprised to see exactly how the program works:

            "At the end of each month, each school's total of points is divided by the total
            points earned by all designated schools and then multiplied by $800,000."

            For some reason I thought that spending more at Giant would actually cause them
            to donate MORE money to the schools. Instead they're just adjusting the
            distribution.

            Jason

            Jason Tripp wrote:

            > I happen to have designated Bryant Woods several months ago, and I have spent
            > far more than $500 at Giant since then. I've sent an email to Giant to inquire
            > about the situation, but I have a feeling there's something wrong. Thanks for
            > pointing this out.
            >
            > Jason Tripp
            >
            > P.S. Give some credit to Oakland Mills High School. Almost $3/student!
            >
            > Debbie Mangus wrote:
            > >
            > > You! But look at schools like Bryant Woods that has collected a little
            > > more than $500 compared to schools like Clarksville that has earned
            > > $1,332.75. Both of these are Howard County public schools, not home
            > > schools. I'm not saying that anyone should change the school to which
            > > they donate their "bonus Bucks", but, if they want to do that, look in
            > > your own back yard before looking elsewhere. These schools that are
            > > "focus schools" have lots of low income parents who can't afford to shop
            > > at Safeway and Giant. My son attends Bryant Woods and I see lots of the
            > > Bryant Woods parents shopping at Metro and the "cheaper" stores in the
            > > county.
            > >
            > > Just an interesting sideline: If you look at the amount earned for St
            > > Louis Catholic School in Clarksville, it's $2,332.75. I am the SHARE
            > > coordinator for St Louis Church and have been told by many of the day
            > > school student's parents that they purchase their groceries at the Giant
            > > because they get a cut on their tuition if their "bonus bucks" points
            > > are over a certain amount.
            > >
            > > Deb
            > >
            > > joan_pontius@... wrote:
            > > >
            > > > True, but be sure to look also at the total number of
            > > > students. I looked up one 'school' with a low amount, and
            > > > it was a home school with the total number of
            > > > students being 2!

            > > > have
            > > > schools

            > > > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
            > > > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
            > > > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
            > > > an e-mail to:
            > > > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
            > >

            > > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
            > > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
            > > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
            > > an e-mail to:
            > > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
            >

            > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
            > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
            > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
            > an e-mail to:
            > howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
          • Debbie Mangus
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
              Does this mean that Gian donates $800,000 each month? That sounds like
              an awful lot.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                JOAN,
                How many families did your school provided Christmas gifts and dinners
                to,how many class room seats do you not use so as to reduce overcrowding.
                How many roofs have you provided at not charge for needy nonprofit
                groups! I don't think you could suggest many ways to provide for
                charities that i haven't , but if there is one that YOU do that i don't
                tell me maybe i can help.
                Steve
                ps. I'll save a seat in my pew and see what you put in the plate.

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Debbie,
                  There is one store with a program where you purchase a book of "store
                  money" say for$100.00 and the school gets 5% or $5.00.
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                    wrote:
                    > JOAN,
                    > How many families did your school provided Christmas gifts and
                    dinners
                    > to,

                    ??I don't have a school.

                    > how many class room seats do you not use so as to
                    > reduce overcrowding.

                    Uh, seeing as I don't have kids, that would be what
                    these days, 2.1?

                    > How many roofs have you provided at not charge for needy nonprofit
                    > groups!

                    Want to come fix mine??

                    > I don't think you could suggest many ways to provide for
                    > charities that i haven't , but if there is one that YOU do that i
                    don't
                    > tell me maybe i can help.
                    > Steve
                    > ps. I'll save a seat in my pew and see what you put in the plate.

                    I wasn't talking about charity as an organization,
                    I meant it as it's used in the Bible, as a state of mind
                  • Steve-Jen Swanhart
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                      I accept your apology.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                        wrote:
                        > I accept your apology.

                        let me guess, you read Miss Manners this weekend?
                        About the lady who got a letter saying she
                        was forgiven, and never was told what she did
                        wrong??

                        Miss Manners recommended ignoring the urge to
                        find out what the infraction was, I guess
                        I'll follow her sage advice.