Tech alert! Java class for HCPSS?

  • Diana Talabac
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 1999
      My son came home today from his first class in Comp Sci II GT (C+/C++) and
      related that his computer teacher said something about the school system
      trying to decide if they are going to offer a class in Java. If he has that
      right (and he usually pays attention to COMPUTER-related stuff):

      What can be done NOW to lobby for this? On his behalf, we are VERY
      interested (although he thinks he can learn it on his own--and probably
      so--we'd like for him to get credit on his transcript!).

      However, this would be a good opportunity to make the point to the powers
      that be that such an opportunity should be (if not in every HS, which is
      unlikely?) county-wide, and not limited to those kids who do/can go to a
      tech magnet HS. A countywide course could be offered to those few
      interested and qualified for it on a school night or, more likely, a Saturday.

      Wouldn't you think "the number one school system in the state"... a state
      whose governor harps upon improving the technology education of our state's
      graduates, so they can fill tech jobs already here and entice other such
      firms...could do this?

      Although not my first choice, our family would even be willing to pay a
      reasonable tuition if that's what it would take to find a qualified instructor.

      Please pass along this rumor to others whom you think may be interested but
      who may not be on these lists.

      --Diana
      OMHS PTSA Communications Chair
    • Cherle Moore
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 1999
        I am really glad to here that programming languages are being taught in the
        high schools in Howard County. He is in the process now trying to learn
        Visual Basic.

        My son has just started his last year of middle school, and like your son is
        very interested in computers. I would like to know that when he gets to
        high school, that he has the opportunity to take programming courses.

        If I can do anything to see that a Java class will be offered, let me know.
        Like you (eventhough not my first choice), we would be willing to pay a
        tuition.

[...]

        ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
        For details and to order, go to:

        Send your message to the community by emailing:
        howardpubliced@onelist.com