Parents for Safe Schools -Glenn

  • Courtney Watson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
      Glenn - maybe you'd like to join the group and expand their mission to
      safety of all kids in all schools.  I am sure they'd be happy to have you.
      This is a incredibly great, newly involved group of parents becoming
      activists in an issue important to all children in the NE - their own, but
      also ALL of the kids of the community to follow.  Their group has helped
      jump start an effort on the state level (thank you Wanda) to get guidelines
      for school siting approved by the Governor.  There are no guidelines now for
      the siting of schools.

      I respect yours - and Kristine's -  right to your opinions - but please think
      about whether you have all the facts before you slam another parent group
      trying to work for the benefit of children - even if their focus is currently children
      in the NE. When that happens it isn't the credibility of the group you are slamming
      that comes into question.

      You'd probably like this group - they remind me a lot of you. They
      aren't afraid to stand up and challenge the system. They plan to hire (and pay
      for through donations) and independent expert to review all of the data provided by
      the county and the school system regarding New Cut Landfill and its impact
      on Worthington Elem and the NE school site. It isn't that they don't trust the
      system, they just want a second opinion. Why? Because the ACTUALLY care
      about kids.

      CW
    • RSYOSH@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
        Courtney-

        Has the group thought about including the septic issues from Glenelg?
      • Glenn Amato
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
          Courtney said "but please think about whether you have all the facts before
          you slam another parent group trying to work for the benefit of children"

          I think their mission statement spells out exactly what they are about. I
          am commenting on their mission statement. Maybe they should have written
          their statement differently. It certainly appears that they only care about
          their children. And by endorsing Bounds they are only thinking of their
          children. Plus Bounds did not say anything against the site until the
          public got upset. I believe if it was not an election years Bounds would
          have told them to go pound sand.

          Parents For Safe Schools (PFSS) is a group of Ellicott City, MD parents. Our
          mission statement: "To compile and disseminate complete, accurate
          information concerning the health effects of locating schools within close
          proximity of New Cut Landfill, in order to assist the Board of Education in
          making sound decisions for the well being of our children." If you are not a
          member, please click on "Subscribe" to access the email archives.

          Just my thoughts :>)

          glenn

[...]

          This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
          To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
          To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
          an e-mail to:
          howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
        • Wanda Hurt
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
            The Maryland PTA voted this weekend for the legislative initiative
            concerning regulations/guidelines for the siting of new schools. We will
            now begin (already had really) the work of establishing what we would like
            to have the regulation/legislation say. All comments, suggestions are
            welcome as we begin the task of pursuing safe school sites for all of our
            children.

            Wanda