SAFETY Re: "God is my Co-pilot"

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Joan Pontius <joan_pontius@...>
      Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: America's, Best, and, Brightest?

      > <rosebroughbob@h...> wrote:
      > > The term "God was his co-pilot" never rang more true when
      >> at 6:17 p.m. Aug. 12, a cadet driving at excessive speed, lost
      >> control of his vehicle and left the road at approximately 93 mph.
      >
      > huh? so what does God have to do with it.
      > even atheists can use seatbelts.

      joan, thank you for being ever alert regarding separation of church
      and state. however, in this particular instance the phrase "God was
      his co-pilot" evokes a rather weighty set of issues relating to the
      heritage and purpose of the u.s. air force (remember -- this article
      appeared in an air force publication).

      the first memory the "God was his co-pilot" phrase evokes is the name
      of a book written by robert lee scott called "God is My Co-pilot" in
      1943. colonel scott was a commander of the 23rd fighter group.

      the second memory evoked is the 23rd fighter group's successor --
      the legendary american VOLUNTEER group which was led by the
      then colonel claire lee chennault -- The Flying Tigers. at this point
      you should have images of curtiss P-40 warhawks with massive
      shark's mouths painted on the engine cowlings swooping thru the
      china skies attacking large formations of japanese bombers.

      the third memory evoked (for the people stationed at the air force
      academy -- not necessarily the general public) is the outspoken
      advocacy (a common problem with aviators) by claire chennault
      of "pursuit" aircraft at a time (most of the time actually) when
      the prevailing air force (army air corps to be historically accurate)
      doctrine heavily favored strategic bombing (billy mitchell and,
      later, curtis lemay).

      and, the fighters vs. bombers issue will rage at the air force academy
      so long as there is an air force academy.

      so, in this particular instance, "God" only gets a bit part but the author
      of the article has very effectively captured the attention of the entire
      base and cadet wing.

      keep'em flying (with acceptable risk of course),

      allen
    • Joan Pontius
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In howardpubliced@egroups.com, "Allen Dyer" <aldyer@l...> wrote:

        > joan, thank you for being ever alert regarding separation of church
        > and state.

        i didn't really mean to bring up separation issues,
        it just seems to me that this case wasn't a matter
        of an 'act of god', rather just using a seatbelt.
        It's not like the car came to a stop on the edge of a cliff.

        but thanks for the history.

        however, in this particular instance the phrase "God was
        > his co-pilot" evokes a rather weighty set of issues relating to the
        > heritage and purpose of the u.s. air force (remember -- this article
        > appeared in an air force publication).

        oh i get it.