Re: [howardpubliced] Re: HSA results--Response From Grace Chesney

  • Sue Medicus
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2013
      How was labor reduced?  I'd like to look at this on a macro level because as a tax payer I am paying for whatever labor happens state wide.

      Did we duplicate efforts by printing the reports rather than using the state reports and assumed we saved since we didn't reimburse the State but the State incurred the full costs and we had our costs?
      I'm always suspicious about these claims of cost savings until we dig a little deeper

      On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Ann De Lacy <anndelacy@...> wrote:

      Theresa,

      Please read the response below.

      Ann

      Sent from my iPad

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "E. Grace Chesney" <echesney@...>
      Date: September 3, 2013, 6:00:52 PM EDT
      To: Ann De Lacy <anndelacy@...>
      Subject: RE: [howardpubliced] Re: HSA results

      MSA home reports went out about 4 weeks ago and HSA home reports were printed last week and sent to the US Post Office Friday.

      Last year HCPSS received paper copies of the MSA home reports from MSDE in July and HCPSS used contractual staff  to process (place home report in envelope w/ corresponding student address label).   MSA data arrives early June. This year we choose to print our own MSA home reports which enabled us to get the reports out earlier than in the past and also reduce cost (elimination of contractual labor).

      HSA data arrives late June.  HSA home reports are more complex than the MSA reports in that we provide the May 2013 scores for each assessment, the students highest score, whether or not they have meet the criteria for each assessment and whether or not they have meet the graduation requirement.

      Most of state reporting takes place during the summer.  The staff person who previously prepared the HSA home reports and all MSDE files went to Fredrick County to work for Terry Alban in June.

      Elizabeth Grace Chesney

      Chief Accountability Officer

      Howard County Public School System

      10910 Clarksville Pike

      Ellicott City, MD 21042

      Office Phone: 410-313-1588

      From: Theresa Jones <theresajones10@...>
      Date: August 21, 2013, 4:07:10 PM EDT
      To: "howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com" <howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com>

      No, last year we got HSA before MSA by about a month.  But this year we didn't get the HSA results (got the MSAs already) and I was wondering if there is a hold up or if ours got lost.   It would be nice if HCPSS let us know when to expect the mailings!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
        Good to know Ann, thanks.

        ------------------------------------

        This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.  All original messages posted here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states otherwise. Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their original copyright status.Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            howardpubliced-digest@yahoogroups.com
            howardpubliced-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ann De Lacy

          --
          Sue Medicus

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
            Hi Sue-
            I get your point.   Since ultimately all the money comes out of our pockets, as taxpayers we don't want the quibbling over which agency is paying for something to end up costing us more.
            I had looked into what seemed like a delay in test scores going home earlier this summer.   Parents usually get them in July, this year they got them in August.
            Since we received the MSA results electronically this year,  there should not have been two printings of the same reports - and it is my understanding that they weren't.  So printing wise, we still have a total of one printing... though this time HCPSS did it.  Taxpayerwise the printing would be a wash...but eliminate that round of shipping/postage.
            As I understand it, the real savings is in that instead of receiving the already printed reports, then having to pay folks to stuff envelopes and affix labels... it was all handled mechanically.   I have seen those cool machines that can fold, stuff and label envelopes.  I did not know we had one.
            In short--- the labor of assembling the printed reports for shipping, loading, shipping, unloading, sorting, folding, stuffing, and labeling would have all been cut out in this scheme - replaced by on site printing and mechanical folding stuffing, etc.
            As for delays --- honestly, I can't imagine that it makes much difference if parents receive MSA or HSA results a week later than last year.  I now it wouldn't have mattered to me.  The teachers, on the other hand, will likely be very interested in getting them as soon as possible.
            Cindy V

            To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
              Cindy, Why do you think it wouldn't make a difference?  We didn't get HSA results until the second week of school.  If these kids are going to care about the tests, don't you think they should care about what the results are and whether they need to work hard to pass them?  If my child takes a test in May, and I find out in June that they failed, well, we can spend the rest of the summer remediating.  It rubs me the wrong way for you to say the teachers need them but parents don't. They are important for deciding what a student needs for graduating, and what the school needs for improvement.  What does that have to do with teachers?  Do they really pour over last years results and look for gaps IN THE SUMMER (or anytime) and plan their education accordingly?
              PLEASE.  Parents are not passive.  We care as much or more about our kid's education than teachers do. We are a team.  A partnership, remember?  If I can see my child's gaps, I can work WITH school and any interested educator to help my child.  So why do you think parents don't need this information?  How about post it on ASPEN when it's available and then mail it later like the SATs do?

              So, I ask you Cindy, what do the teachers actually do with the results of the MSAs and HSAs at any time of year?