RE: [howardpubliced] Prince George’s school board suspends member’s credit card - The Washington Post

  • Rob Callahan
    Message 1 of 50 , May 1, 2013

      Ann,

      Whether district (as I had in PG) or at-large board members, we all had the entire school system in mind and worked on its behalf since it affected all of us and our children.  In a district system, the schools a board member represented were in the community where the board member lived generally and were not reassigned each year.   I found that voters and parents appreciated knowing that they could call their local board member who represented their geographic area and schools.  The district model was helpful for me in the discussion of school boundary changes because I was able to influence boundary changes that were for the best interest of my geographical community and was able to bring lots of neighborhoods closer to their neighborhood schools.  There were at-large members of the Howard County Board of Ed who had no allegiance to the neighborhoods being adversely affected last year though they talked the talk, because they didn’t live there and therefore had no “skin in the game”.

      A lot of the problems in the PG School system are from its extreme size and unmanageability, so breaking down into districts helped with management in some respects.

      What is the structure of the Howard Board (district vs. at-large, etc.)?

      Rob

      Message 50 of 50 , May 3, 2013
        I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding.  ALL emails sent to the BOE go to ALL board members AND our administrative assistant.  Emails sent to individual board members go to the individual board member only.  No one is blocking assess to board members.

        cv

        To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
        From: berryfolks@...
        Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 18:10:57 -0400
        Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] Please read the message below

        Seems to me that we, the people, need some means to FORCE the BOE to look at some issues.  Kind of how many of us feel about the State of Maryland not listening to the citizens and having to use referendums, if the BOE can decide What is worthy to be brought before them, how can that possibly be right?  Seems totally, totally, totally wrong.

        Sue Medicus

        On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Ann De Lacy <anndelacy@...> wrote:

        HPE,

        I am so glad you all brought up the issue of BOE members failing to respond to emails.  I sincerely forgot that a person sending a concern to the Board has possibility already contacted the very employee being directed to address the concern.

        My suggestion is for an individual to contact the employee directed to take the lead in a particular situation and copy a particular Board member.  Any message sent to the entire Board is forwarded to the employee.  It is a Board of Education protocol.

        Ann

        Sent from my iPad

        On May 2, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Theresa Jones <theresajones10@...> wrote:

        Thanks Ann.  If the board does get serious, one other problem for kids from families that are not intact is the requirement to have papers signed by a parent.  This counts as a grade, yet, sometimes the parent is just not there or interested in the school work.  Especially in the older grades.  Children should not have to be responsible for their parents' behavior.  I know the flip side is the parent who is left in the dark about their child's failing grades and doesn't have time to help their child get in gear in time.  But it seems making a child responsible for their parent is an unintended consequence that again penalizes kids with low SES and/or less than stellar parents.

        And FWIW, giving a computer to the child might not be the best idea.  If the parents don't secure it or they intentionally sell it for other needs, the problem has just been made worse.  Plus, there's the issue of wi-fi access.   These problems are not easy to solve, and HCPSS can't solve them all, but in my opinion, they should not push a child down with their policies, and instead should do some lifting and encouraging.

        Thanks so much for listening Ann and explaining the process to me.  I really appreciate it.

        Sincerely, Theresa